Who are we?
Elsevier is a world-leading provider of information solutions that help you make better decisions, deliver better care, and sometimes make groundbreaking discoveries in science, health, and technology. We serve researchers, professionals, and clinicians, through the application of technology and analytics to content, empowering them to create knowledge, contribute to social progress, and enhance human well being. We are delivering next-generation professional information solutions and technology to our broad client base – and we need a team of exceptional sales leaders and professionals to join us on the journey.
Elsevier publish over 2,500 journals and more than 33,000 book titles, and provide web-based, digital solutions — among them ScienceDirect, Scopus, Evolve, Knovel, Reaxys and ClinicalKey.
This role combines hands-on activity with team leadership, with responsibility for the effective day-to-day management of their Development function. Specifically, the role is charged with responsibility for all software development activities and staff in order to ensure that solutions are efficiently developed and supported to agreed costs and quality standards.
Key Result Areas
1. Implementation of software development strategy (approx. 10% of time)
· By ensuring adherence in the team, maintain the department’s software development strategy, methodology and approach, in line with industry best practices, and support modern development methodologies.
· Maintain strategy for the continual improvement of their development team through the provision of tools and improvement of skills and processes.
· Work with the (Senior) Development Manager/Architects to implement preferred development languages, IDEs and development platforms.
· Liaise with Preferred Supplier List partners who will assist in all aspects of development at times of peak load or need for increased capability
· Actively participate as part of the Development team in all aspects of the day-to-day management of the department
· Proactively suggest improvements to development processes and approaches, to provide efficient, high quality and cost effective development that supports a dynamic business.
2. Ensure efficient and high quality project delivery (approx. 35% of time)
· Manage development resource, tools and services to ensure all projects and work are efficiently resourced and undertaken to the quality standards agreed.
· Manage and agree the development approach for each project to which you assign resource.
· Agree on allocated projects at each project gateway in terms of software development.
· Agree on all software releases and projects in terms of how the solution has been implemented, technical documentation and the ability to support the solution – within the team.
· Ensure unit tests are written to agreed standards
· Responsible for documented releases, and working with the Operations team to ensure systems are robust and well-supported
· Ensure collaborative and effective relations with colleagues in other teams to help enable successful business outcomes
· Undertake development activities, as required
3. Staff co-ordination, planning and leadership (approx. 30% of time)
· Co-ordinate team activities to help ensure the development team meets its objectives on time, to budget, to quality standards agreed.
· In conjunction with the (Senior) Architect and (Senior/Lead) Developer, provide technical designs and guidance for members of the team, and take responsibility for implications and impacts of design decisions
· Ensuring that requirements are fully understood when development work is undertaken, and delivering solutions that meet those needs
· Managing the team to ensure delivery is completed to agreed timelines and quality
· Ensuring that stakeholders are kept informed of progress, issues, and difficulties in an efficient manner
· Provide and challenge estimates of duration, effort and technical design to ensure solutions are appropriate to business needs
· Conduct PDPs, development planning activities and periodic performance reviews to help maintain a high performing work environment
· Initiate and participate in recruitment activities ensuring the appointment of suitably qualified and motivated employees
· Help ensure the Development function establishes and maintains a good working relationship with other relevant functions within Technology & the business.
· Undertake reviews of team members’ work
4. Ensure high standards of support for production systems (approx. 25% of time)
· Manage resources to ensure high quality support for existing production systems.
· Ensure that the baseline source code for all current supported solutions can be efficiently retrieved and rebuilt.
· Work with other functions within the group to ensure that critical system fixes can be developed and released quickly, efficiently and safely.
· Manage resources to ensure that staff coverage provides cost efficient support
· Establish and maintain processes to ensure technical documentation is kept up-to-date.
· Undertake development activities, as required
Functional and Technical Competencies
· People Manager experience: maximum
· Stake holder management, Project Delivery
· Skills: RPA + Java or Test automation
· Hands on coding experience is mandatory
· Solid working knowledge of the following development activities:
· Object-Oriented Development
· Unit Testing
· Build automation
· Experience of Service Oriented Architecture
· Experience with Agile development methodologies
· Knowledge on Robotic Process Automation, AI/ML/NLP
· Knowledge in Cloud computing, Storage, Environment
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Experiences (and any other requirements)
· Strong development background with experience in OO development languages such as Java, C++ or C#.
· Must have an in-depth knowledge of the technologies and be capable of mentoring other individuals in their use
· Web Service Development
· Experience developing externally facing web based applications, with an emphasis on security, processing transactions and usability
· Proven track record of developing and delivering highly performing, n-tier, multi-client, multi-platform software applications.