The Realtime Data Team develops the engine that powers Twilio’s communication infrastructure enabling multi-platform signaling on a global scale.
About the job:
Realtime Data is foundational for both internal Twilio services and to external customers - as a platform. As a Software Engineer you will be developing a set of globally available, resilient and highly performant services used by hundreds of thousands of developers and apps.
We have three products developed within the RTD group: Programmable Chat, Sync and Notify
- Be part of a small, high-impact, multi-talented engineering team in Tallinn, Estonia.
- Drive the design and architecture services in Realtime Data Web-style SOA.
- Build secure, resilient and performant server-side components in Java and host them in AWS.
- Collaborate with product management to define, architect, and build new customer-facing features.
- Own, operate, and maintain your team’s services in production.
- Write quality, maintainable code with extensive automatic test coverage in a fast-paced professional software engineering.
- Excel as engineer and be productive member of the team where leadership is a behavioral trait, not a title.
In Realtime Data we believe in versatility and complementing proficiencies being key to forming a better team. We are therefore looking for people with a variety of skills, specializations and levels of seniority. You should have at least 3 of the proficiencies below to be considered for the role:
- C++. You are a rock-solid C++ developer, and use it (including latest standards) regularly. We believe there’s a great correlation between good developers and proficiency in C++.
- Scalable backend. You understand scalability challenges and performance of server-side code. You can design and develop horizontally-scalable, resilient and performing-under-load systems.
- Java. You are a Java enthusiast and professional. There is at least one framework in which you can be called an expert.
- Cloud. You are proficient in cloud technologies and are hands-on in at least one cloud platform: GCC, AWS, or Azure. You are able to both design and develop cloud-based systems and operate them in an automated fashion.
- Testing. You are passionate about quality and can engineer it at all stages of software development. You are able to design and develop quality pipeline requiring as little human intervention as possible.
- Security. You are able to design secure distributed systems and assure operational processes around security. You understand fitness for purpose of security techniques.
- Agile. You are an expert in practical aspects of running Scrum (or other agile methodologies) within a team and in a distributed cross-team environment.
- Realtime communications experience.
- Python or other scripting languages proficiency.
- Sound understanding of build and deployment toolchains.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.