Data Science & Analytics is one of the fastest growing teams at Betterment. We operate with a 360 degree view of the company, partnering closely with teams such as Finance, Marketing, Product, and Operations, and always with our users in mind. Our projects range from creating beautiful dashboards to developing machine learning models. These projects add tremendous value to the business and we are looking for more thoughtful, driven, and curious people to push the business even further.
About the right team member:
Marketing plays a critical role in Betterment’s success. We hope to make marketing even more data-driven than it is today, using data to continuously improve our customer models and optimize our marketing spend. We are looking for a talented data analyst to help with these efforts. The company is in a growth stage and marketing’s analytics needs are broad, so the work is bound to stay interesting. At any one time projects may include measuring the success of ongoing marketing campaigns, testing variations in marketing spend focusing on optimizing LTV:CAC, or assisting with ad-hoc data requests from the marketing team.
At Betterment you will get to:
- Work as an embedded data analyst within our marketing organization.
- Partner closely with cross functional teams of acquisition, CRM, Product Manager, engineers and designers.
- Build rich quantitative reports, dashboards, and insights to provide our marketing team with critical information to support our decision-making process.
- Establish the framework and build robust reporting to track spend, performance, and impact which will scale as we continue to grow.
- Analyze cohorts and channels to identify customer segments that have the highest LTV.
- Collaborate with marketing leadership to understand how marketing spend impacts acquisition.
- Support ad hoc analysis requests as needed, and over time translate them into tools and metrics.
- Assist with the design, set-up and analysis of A/B tests to drive iterative improvement through efficient experimentation.
- Contribute to Betterment’s data driven culture, and influence best practices.
- Be a member of the broader data science community in NYC, staying abreast of new ideas and trends, and contributing thought leadership.
You will be effective if you have:
- 2+ years in data analytics, marketing intelligence, or consulting.
- The ability to write SQL in your sleep.
- Experience with Python or R, along with a desire to become an expert.
- Comfort working with large datasets.
- Passion about solving complex marketing problems using data and transforming analyses into concise insights and recommendations.
- Self-starter mentality with a track record of completing projects with minimal guidance.
- A willingness to be flexible, prioritizing problems that are most pressing and using the most appropriate tools.
- An ability to build strong relationships with colleagues and stakeholders.
- An eye for beautiful and effective data visualizations, and experience creating them programmatically.
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience in marketing analytics.
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $13 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 330,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.
Come join us!