WHO WE ARE
Scholastic Corporation (NASDAQ: SCHL) is the world's largest publisher and distributor of children's books, a leading provider of core literacy curriculum and professional services, and a producer of educational and entertaining children's media. The Company creates quality books and ebooks, print and technology-based learning programs for pre-K to grade 12, classroom magazines and other products and services that support children's learning both in school and at home. With operations in 14 international offices and exports to 165 countries, Scholastic makes quality, affordable books available to all children around the world through school-based book clubs and book fairs, classroom collections, school and public libraries, retail and online. True to its mission of 97 years to encourage the personal and intellectual growth of all children beginning with literacy, the Company has earned a reputation as a trusted partner to educators and families. Learn more at www.scholastic.com.
Within the US market their products are in more than 90% of schools and over half the teachers in the U.S. have an active account tapping into Scholastic’s teaching resources. With annual revenues of approximately ~$1.7 billion Scholastic operates through four divisions: Children's Book Publishing and Distribution; Classroom and Supplemental Materials; Media, Licensing and Advertising; and International. Through each of Scholastic’s divisions literacy remains the cornerstone of all that they do with a corporate mission to encourage the intellectual and personal growth of all children, beginning with literacy.
Based in New York City and reporting to the SVP of Technology & Engineering the VP Digital Services will lead and drive: digital content development, digital/social engagement, eCommerce, digital Marketing & Operations, design, and engineering/technology teams to create and grow business value for Scholastic. This position implements a full lifecycle digital strategy, including: customer acquisition, engagement, retention, and conversion to commerce that supports Scholastic’s business objectives. The VP will lead online content distribution channels and stores across Scholastic business units and partner with Scholastic Business Units to create a true omni-channel customer experience. Functions that report to this VP, include:
• eCommerce Strategy & Scholastic BU Alignment
• Social Media Services and Capabilities Supporting Scholastic BUs with a focus on engagement for Parents and Teachers
• Digital Customer Experience and Content development for Parents and Teachers Channels
• Digital Marketing & Online Operations
• Design and UI/UX Research and Development
• ECommerce, Marketing, and Web Platform Engineering
Overall responsibilities and deliverables include:
• Directs the development, communication, and implementation of a Scholastic wide digital experience and ecommerce strategy
• Ensures high quality, customer centric, and aligned implementation of digital strategies across all business units
• Drives customer acquisition and grows revenue through integrated digital and marketing initiatives including SEO, SEM, email, affinity/affiliate marketing partnerships, and social media
• Builds and leverages Scholastic’s high quality editorial Teacher and Parent content to create new customer acquisition capabilities for lines of business and convert those customers through commerce
• Works closely with Scholastic Business Units and Corporate Communications to ensure consistency of the brand voice in all digital communications
• Ensures qualified traffic is being driven to Scholastic web properties through online acquisition programs.
• Optimize paid and organic search campaigns using tools such as Adobe Analytics, Google AdWords, Facebook ad manager, Conductor, and etc.
• Manage vendor and agency relationships to ensure quality and efficiency of services and deliverables, providing Scholastic with a high return on investment
• Set and achieve ROI goals for digital customer acquisition initiatives and digital content development initiatives. Identify critical investments to accelerate growth.
• Lead analysis through use of comprehensive Web and eCommerce analytics
• In collaboration with Scholastic business units, lead the design, integration, and implementation of a Scholastic digital loyalty program for audiences.
• Deliver robust technology platforms for eCommerce, digital content, social engagement, and analytics.
• Drive marketing automation to reduce manual, non-value add processes and bring clarity to the customer journey and cost/return of acquisition and retention
• Stay abreast of key eCommerce technology trends and make appropriate recommendations for the eCommerce platform and digital content platforms to improve the content to commerce conversion process.
• Ensures an excellent digital customer experience through customer-centric design, mobile first design, rich content, navigation, branding, system architecture, design, performance, quality, and functionality
The successful candidate will possess the appropriate educational credentials (a combination of technical and business/marketing degrees would be ideal) coupled with extensive experience in building digital content, brand identify, social engagement, and commerce channels. Along with this a strong grounding in the design, technology, and engineering foundations that build a strong digital customer experience.
• 10+ years of experience with digital content and commerce in a consumer driven business
• Bachelor’s degree in technology, engineering, business, or marketing – Advanced degree preferred (a combination of technology and business degrees is ideal)
• A prior role that demonstrates the ability to use digital content and social engagement to drive and grow commerce.
• Track record for designing and executing complex and well-coordinated initiatives with integrated multi-disciplinary teams
• Experience leading a multi-function digital organization with 50+ team members.
• Strategic thinking with experience building best-in-class digital content and eCommerce capabilities
• Proven track record of innovation in creating digital customer experiences
• Current on leading edge technologies and digital strategies to grow customer engagement and commerce conversions
• Understands the nuances and challenges of building an omni-channel digital strategy in an organization with strong vertical business units.
• Subject Matter Expert in eCommerce and well-versed in digital strategy with experience in using digital content to acquire customers and drive them to commerce
• Ability to foster an atmosphere of cooperation and collaboration among business units
• Experience leading technology and engineering teams
• Experience in an agile product development model
• Ability to create a vision for how Scholastic can best create an industry leading digital experience that drives commerce
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to lead by influence and drive effective change in an organization.
• Ability to identify and implement metrics that are critical to measuring the effectiveness of an enterprise digital strategy.
• Ability to hire, train, and grow top talent in the Digital, Content, and Commerce disciplines.
The VP Digital Experience and Commerce will be an intellectual and action oriented executive capable of representing the corporation at senior levels within the corporation and the customer community. She/he will have the ability to understand others’ points of view, persuade and influence others, and obtain their commitment and support. The emphasis of the department will be on partnering relationships in spirit and practice.
The VP Digital Experience and Commerce will also be a hands on working manager, with a high energy level and the ability to communicate at all levels of the organization.
She/he will develop strong peer relationships, which build on positive cross-organizational interactions, and establish the department as a focal point for leading digital change efforts at Scholastic.
This position will offer the individual an opportunity to be part of an industry leader with a mission to engage children in learning and the joy of reading. She/he will serve in a critical leadership role that is driving Scholastic’s digital engagement model as Scholastic prepares for its next 100 years of success. This leader will also drive a cultural transformation to create a work place that is fun, engaging, collaborative, agile, high throughput, and customer focused.
The Corporation will pay a competitive compensation package with an excellent benefits package. The successful candidate will have high visibility within the organization and will be in an excellent position to make both a significant contribution to the Corporation, as well as provide for future career-broadening assignments based on performance.
Some benefits that we offer:
• 100% vested of 401(k) Retirement Plan after 5 years employment
• Up to 1M worth of supplemental Life Insurance
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Purchase Scholastic stock at a 15% discount
Thank you for your consideration in choosing Scholastic.