Do you ever wonder what happens inside the cloud?
DigitalOcean’s software engineers develop next-generation cloud infrastructure technology that will change how millions of developers build, deploy, and scale web applications. Our mission is to simplify cloud infrastructure; this requires knowledge in many different fields including distributed systems, virtualization, software defined networking, scale-out storage, real-time data processing, and user interface design.
We want people who are passionate about building features that you and your peers will love.
As a software engineer on the Network team, the software you write will run on tens of thousands of hypervisors across our global infrastructure network. You will be responsible for building the next generation of networking on our platform: providing flexible, yet simple, primitives that our customers have come to love.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Solving problems with distributed patterns to reduce bottlenecks, single points of failures and inter-dependencies of our many regions.
- Designing and building sets of highly efficients micro-services to enable new features and internal toolings around the virtual network stack.
- Diving deep into the ocean of highly available & fault-tolerant virtual networking.
- Participating in a team effort to harden our visibility on various network metrics.
- Using technologies and tools such as: OpenVSwitch, Go, Perl, Consul, SQL, Chef, Git, Jira, Sentry, Prometheus, Docker, Ansible and others!
What We'll Expect From You:
- Expertise with at least two of the following languages: Go, Perl, Python, C/C++
- Deep understanding of the OSI model Layer 2 and above.
- Understanding of flexible and scalable database architecture
- Ability to self-organize and clearly communicate intents
- Bonus: Familiarity with Chef, Ansible, OVS, Openflow, SDN Controllers, Gateways, NAT
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and coolest people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. Archery classes, DJ lessons, and office pie fights are a thing. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have a great office space located in the heart of SoHo NYC and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our HQ to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in HQ.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.