The Business Development Manager focuses on supporting and building relationships in order to win new clients. This focus includes partnerships with WPP integrated teams, lapsed clients and new prospects in targeted verticals. The BD Manager partners the Exec Director, MD and the Senior Management Team, to support the new business vision and approach that will positively influence Landor’s opportunity to be selected as the prospective clients’ partner. This involves all areas of new business from inbound and outbound leads, marketing and events.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Embraces and displays passion and curiosity for design and branding.
- Embraces and champions all of Landor’s capabilities as per the Experience Map: including Research, Strategy, Innovation, Design, Naming/Verbal Identity, Environments, Digital, and Engagement.
- Ensures and manages flawless project management.
- Ensures all correspondence, materials, presentations, proposals seen by prospective and existing clients are error-free, of highest quality, relevant to the client’s business challenges, and reflective of Landor’s approach to Agile Brands.
- Communicates findings, insights, and recommendations in a clear and compelling manner in written, oral and presentation forms.
- Understands critical nature of and oversees back-up and archiving of key client deliverables, credentials, case histories.
- Recognises the critical importance of documenting work.
People and Team
- Builds valuable partners internally with colleagues in the all other departments.
- Mentors junior to mid level talent via ideas and actions that will differentiate and propel Landor’s new business approach (Asks “why not?” instead of “why?”).
- Generate fresh ideas to identify key senior prospects in agreed -upon verticals, recent clients, and WPP agencies.
- Partner with Client Leads to activate and execute against custom reactivation plans for waning or lapsed clients.
New Business Development & Marketing
- Work with Biz Dev Director and senior team to support and develop outreach strategy and marketing programs- events, speaking engagements, etc.
- Support and help build relationships with new prospects
Strategic and Innovative Thinking
- Partner with senior team to identify WPP teams that are most strategically aligned to Landor’s outbound strategy. Cultivate those team relationships, identify business opportunities, and close Landor business within those teams.
- Alongside the Biz Dev Director support POV, insights, new ideas, etc. to strategically identify key senior prospects in agreed-upon verticals, lapsed clients, and WPP teams.
- Research and develop deep understanding of prospective client needs, business challenges, culture, etc. working to further this understanding.
Project/ Financial Management
- Handles the regular updating of Client Central to ensure accurate new business reporting.
- Manages the business development server and ensure that everything is correctly filed and updated regularly including Lead folders, tools sections etc.
- Supports the communities/pitch teams as they develop responses to opportunities (RFI, RFP, Proposals, Pitch Decks).
- Manages all global requests for information, surveys, contributions etc.
- Ensures the Biz Dev Director and senior team is kept up to date at all times regarding new business opportunities.
Qualifications and Skills
- Equally comfortable leading from the front and being behind-the-scenes.
- Strong balance of thought and action.
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking, and problem solving / ‘detective’ skills.
- Demonstrated ability to generate ideas and the “hook” that will make Landor stand out from the crowd.
- Ability to sort the vital few from the less-vital.
- Solid understanding of how brands and businesses work.
- Meets challenges head-on and deals proactively with them to find a solution.
- Have high standards for work and impeccable attention to detail.
- Solid skills in MS Office Suite.
- Team-oriented across all levels and functions.
- Ability to effectively prioritise
- 5+ years work-experience in a branding/design/advertising agency
- Business development or account management experience gained within a marketing services agency, a grounding in Client-Services training would be advantageous
- Good working knowledge of key branding disciplines including brand/corporate identity, 3D environments, digital and innovation
- Excellent knowledge of PowerPoint, Keynote and other presentation formats