Senior Software Engineer, Full Stack
AppNexus’ mission is to build a better Internet. We develop a technology platform that powers the real-time sale and purchase of digital advertising. Our platform is engineered to provide one of the fastest, most reliable, and massively scaled advertising systems in the industry. As a transparent and independent partner for some of the largest publishers and advertisers, AppNexus helps ensure that the Internet stays open and free.
Creatives (or ads) are the transactional unit of online advertising: they are what the user sees (or hears). The Creative team develops and maintains the suite of products used by our clients to register 100K new creatives per day. The industry is constantly thinking of newer, better ways to advertise to users, and we support our clients by building the features that allow them to leverage the new methodologies, all while supporting an ever growing number of creatives. Our back end applications are written in Java (dropwizard.io) and php. Our front end applications are written in REACT powered by GraphQL.
The most exciting part about working at AppNexus is the enormous potential for personal and professional growth. Within weeks, your code will be deployed to production and used by our clients. We have too many large problems not to trust new developers with enormous responsibility.
Consider some of the problems you will try to solve:
- Overcoming Scale: How do we maintain speed, availability, and reliability as our client base grows and the number of objects and relationships within our system increases exponentially?
- Efficient Storage: How do we store thousands of permutations of images and text that make up a creative and select the best one for the user?
- Workflow Efficiency: Our clients operate in over 50 different countries, creating, or editing hundreds of thousands of objects every day. How do you enable them to do it faster and with less errors?
About the job:
- Design and develop maintainable, reliable, scalable, and testable enterprise-level customer facing solutions
- Collaborate with a cross-functional team with diverse technology backgrounds
- Participate in all stages of the software development life cycle
- Lead architecture discussions: make and drive technical decisions
- Share your knowledge: guide and mentor other engineers
About your skills:
- BA/BS degree and 5+ years of experience OR MS degree and 2+ years of experience in software engineering
- Experience in building large web applications
- Experience in designing and architecting large systems
- Experience in writing unit and integration tests
- Experience with REACT and GraphQL preferred
- Experience with Java and php preferred
More about you:
- You are passionate about a culture of learning and teaching. You love challenging yourself to constantly improve, and sharing your knowledge to empower others
- You like to take risks when looking for novel solutions to complex problems. If faced with roadblocks, you continue to reach higher to make greatness happen
- You care about solving big, systemic problems. You look beyond the surface to understand root causes so that you can build long-term solutions for the whole ecosystem
- You believe in not only serving customers, but also empowering them by providing knowledge and tools
- You believe that tests are just as important as code and would not think about merging code without a corresponding unit test
Learn. Teach. Build.
AppNexians make greatness happen
Join our community
AppNexus is proud to offer equal opportunity in all aspects of employment. We strive to foster a diverse, inclusive and engaging work environment. We welcome applications from all candidates and look forward to receiving yours. Our diversity in action:
- Partnering with Path Forward to offer returnships to help caregivers reenter the workforce
- Sharing feedback openly through roundtable discussions on how to make progress on our Diversity & Inclusion goals
- Celebrating our diversity with affinity groups (including OutNexus, AppNexus Women’s Network, AppNexus Latino Alliance and BlackNexus to name just a few!)