Kabbage is blazing a trail in big data and FinTech, and we are looking for a Head of Data Science Modeling to join us as we continue our amazing growth trajectory. As we offer the only fully automated, online lending platform designed to support continuous customer data monitoring, Data Science is one of the pillars of Kabbage's persistent innovation and sets the standard for automated lending.
Kabbage is more than a lender for small businesses; our data and technology platform is now being used as a fully branded product by other lenders, and our products are expanding. We've received numerous awards and recognition, including Glassdoor's 2017 Best Places to Work, "36th fastest growing company in the US" on the INC 500 List, Fast Company's "Top 10 most innovative companies in finance" and Forbes' "America's Top 100 Most Promising Companies" among others.
In this mission critical role, you will steer the efforts of the lending data science team across products and projects within the company. You also set the technical vision and direction of lending data science with our executive leadership team. You will work with product and engineering to improve our existing data products and launch clever new ones.
Define the long-term lending data science modeling roadmap at Kabbage: driving adoption of best practices in lending data science and providing vision to bring in the latest developments in statistical modeling, optimization techniques, and machine learning methods.
What you'll be doing:
- Lead a bold agenda around the use of transaction data in new, creative ways.
- Develop and mentor a team of data scientists to move the agenda forward.
- Collaborate with Product to develop new use cases and expand the business in new directions.
- Collaborate with Engineering to design the optimal data architecture for a new scale platform.
- Represent the Data Science team in meeting with external partners and clients.
- Build and launch the data foundations of our new products.
What we're looking for in you:
- Intelligence: Learns quickly. Demonstrates ability to quickly and proficiently understand. Both IQ and EQ are important in this role.
- Communication: Must be personable. Must be comfortable in discussions with C-level executives. Must be amiable without conceding Kabbage’s position. Speaks and writes clearly and articulately without being overly verbose or talkative. Maintains this standard in all forms of written communication, including email.
- Ability to develop people: Coaches peoples in their current roles to improve performance, and prepares them for future roles.
- Attention to detail: Does not let important details slip through the cracks or derail a project.
- Analytical skills: Must be able to structure the logical approach to engage the partners in an impressive way that demonstrates to the partner that they made the right choice in choosing Kabbage.
- Organization and planning: Plans, organizes, schedules, and budgets in an efficient, productive manner. Focuses on key priorities.
- Creativity: Able to think about traditional questions in a creative way to find new solutions given new data or circumstances.
- Proactivity: Acts without being told what to do. Brings new ideas to the company.
- Persistence: Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Accountability: Ultimate success for partner's continued growth and engagement lies on this role
What you should have:
- Experience as a data scientist, with a background (MS or PhD preferred) in machine learning, statistics, bioinformatics, signal processing or related field.
- Experience leading, hiring and managing a team.
- Ability to successfully collaborate across key senior internal (Engineering, Technology, Product) and external clients.
- Ability to communicate quantitative and technical concepts to non-technical audiences.
- Proven ability to prioritize and drive product-centric machine learning efforts across a geographically distributed team of data scientists and engineers.
- Bias towards results, with sound judgment and pragmatism.
- Strong background/experience with ETL, data mining, statistical analysis, data processing with very large amounts of data.
- Strong business acumen and ability to see the impacts of data at a very high level.
- Strong intuition, ability to advocate for and ability to dig deep into data.
- You know how to move data around, from a database or an API, through a transformation or two, a model and into human-readable form (ROC curve, Excel chart, map, d3 visualization, Tableau, etc.).
- You probably know Python, Java, R, Storm, Julia, SQL, Matlab, Mahout, or think everything can be done in a Perl one-liner.
- Big, undefined problems and petabytes don't frighten you.
The Kabbage Advantage
At Kabbage, we think our people are awesome, so we created the Kabbage Advantage—our way of being awesome right back. We offer competitive benefits including unlimited PTO, equity in the company, and exceptional health coverage options. Our team members enjoy a dynamic work environment with daily catered lunches, fully stocked kitchens, and onsite fitness classes.
While our perks and benefits are generous, the people are actually what make Kabbage great. Kabbagers are curious, creative, and resilient. We are proactive, productive, and problem solvers. And we don’t do it alone. At Kabbage, you will find humble individuals who work hard to communicate effectively and work collaboratively.
Kabbage is an equal opportunity employer. At Kabbage we make all employment decisions, which include hiring, promoting, transferring, demoting, evaluating, compensating and separating, without regard to sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, color, religion, age, national origin, pregnancy, citizenship, disability, service in the uniform services, or any other classification protected by federal, state or local law.