At Lyft, community is what we are and it’s what we do. It’s what makes us different. To create the best ride for all, we start in our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization where all team members are recognized for what they bring.
Lyft’s Data Science Team builds mathematical models underpinning the platform’s core services. Compared to other technology companies of a similar size, the set of problems that we tackle is incredibly diverse. They cut across optimization, prediction, modeling, inference, transportation, and mapping. We are hiring motivated experts in each of these fields. The ideal candidate is a critical thinker, is passionate about solving mathematical problems with data, and is excited about working in a fast-paced, innovative and collegial environment.
- Lead a team of talented data scientists solving a variety of mathematical problems
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members: help develop their careers; assign them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and professional goals
- Create plans for prioritizing technical and resourcing challenges in your organization
- Maintain a balance between building principled, mathematically rigorous solutions and shipping things quickly
- Work with data scientists, engineers and product managers to maintain a prioritized backlog and create short term and long term goals
- Unblock your team members; help them build the necessary relationships across Lyft functions including Support, Marketing, Ops, and BizDev
- Build teams that are collaborative, inclusive, and respectful of each other
- Provide continuous feedback, address underperformance, and recognize the individual strengths and contributions of your team members
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the team’s code, architecture, and processes
- Work closely with the Lyft recruiting team to hire high potential candidates from diverse backgrounds
Experience & Skills:
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Statistics, Operations Research, Mathematics, Computer Science, or other quantitative fields
- 4+ years of hands-on technical or research experience
- 2+ years of experience managing a team of data scientists
- Penchant for solving unstructured and non-standard mathematical problems
- Willingness to collaborate and communicate with others to drive projects to completion
- Passionate about mentoring junior team members, and multiplying impact through technical leadership
- Inclined towards thinking ahead and building for the future
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.