Overview & Responsibilities
Provide basic support to the RPC (Rackspace Private Cloud) Implementation Team. Supports and interacts with customers through a combination of ticket and telephone call regarding their new Private Cloud environments.
- Intermediate understanding of OpenStack projects to include; Nova, Glance, Keystone, Cinder, Neutron, Nova-Network, Swift, and Horizon.
- Intermediate understanding of the DNS resolution process including standard DNS tools. Basic knowledge of Rackspace products including the dedicated and Cloud Portfolio.
- Intermediate working knowledge of common networking gear, e.g., switches, firewalls, segmentation, routers, default ports for common protocols (HTTP, HTTPS, etc.), and subnetting.
- Intermediate understanding of Health Check options (TCP, HEAD, GET), and how to suspend servers and read load-balancer rules. Basic understanding of RAID types (0,1,5,6,10), and enterprise server hardware. Basic understanding of Enterprise storage, i.e., SAN, LUNS, Fibre, NAS/NFS, DAS, HBA, disk types.
- Advance understanding of the general LAMP stack.
- Fundamental understanding of Openstack Private Cloud.
- Linux software skills in Apache (SSL configuration & PHP), Mail, Managed Backup (MySQL backups), and other Linux applications including Plesk, Bind, Urchin 5, Postgres, Virtualization software, Oracle, and non standard services.
- Advance knowledge of Linux networking, partitioning and LVM
- Great vocal and written communication skills with the ability to translate technical terms customer’s business contacts.
- Ability to help the customer design, deploy and maintain private cloud environments.
- Ability to translate, write and perform complex maintenance plans.
- Ability to do occasional domestic travel, about 25%.
- High school diploma or equivalent experience with Linux certifications required or Bachelor’s degree in computer science.
- 2+ years of experience as a Linux System Administrator
- RHCE preferred or ability to get certification within 6 months of hire date
- Willingness to be on call 24x7, in the event of major customer emergencies.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy: Rackspace is committed to offering equal employment opportunity without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, military status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain or to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of the employee assigned to this job.
Already a Racker? Head to our Racker Portal