You’ll be responsible for writing and editing copy for VICE’s social platforms (Snapchat, Instagram Stories, etc). This includes editing existing VICE articles to optimise for socials, as well as ideating and writing original social series and franchises in the VICE voice and style. You’ll also be tasked with crafting witty headlines, teasers, shares, and CTAs.
You’ll work with the motion graphics team as well as the short form video team to seamlessly combine editorial and design and bring VICE editorial and video to life on socials.
This is a good opportunity for a junior person with strong social media skills to break into the journalism field.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Have a strong working knowledge of Snapchat and Instagram and understand how young people (and other publishers) use the platforms. Leverage these best practices to grow the VICE Socials audience.
- Copy edit a wide range of articles from the VICE ecosystem—from short news pieces to in-depth investigations—into a condensed format for VICE’s social platforms.
- Write original Snapchat and Instagram content in the VICE voice, including short articles as well as witty Shares, Polls, Games, and Quizzes.
- Write headlines, sells, and CTAs targeting VICE’s young, engaged audience with humor and wit to maximize click-through and engagement with stories.
- Help copy edit all Instagram stories and Snapchat editions to quality check for spelling, grammar, etc.
- Monitor trends and be able to identify what 13 to 24-year-olds are interested in and how they consume content online.
- Use social media judgment and data to curate stories for VICE Snapchat and Instagram across VICE network
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field; newsroom experience a huge plus
- Quick and accurate writing and copy editing skills; knowledge of AP style
- Exceptionally strong headline writing chops
- Expert Snapchat and Instagram user as well as all other social platforms
- 2-3 years experience in journalism, social media or newsroom experience at a major media company
- Strong writing voice that fits with the VICE tone
- Keen observer of media and culture trends, specifically for teens
- Familiarity with Chartbeat, Google Analytics, Instagram and reporting data from these platforms a plus