We seek lifelong learners. This is an opportunity to join an innovative, dynamic team environment which promotes a collaborative culture. Where Lean Product Management, User Centered Design, and other Agile practices are utilized to develop solutions enabling Travelers to continue to be a leader in the digital age.
In support of Business Insurance strategic initiatives, this Node.JS/Java Software Engineer will contribute to design/delivery activities, perform UI and Microservices level design/development, and develop server-side components to satisfy front-end requirements. Strategic initiatives maybe related to Policy Administration, Work Management or Underwriting Workstation. All initiatives employ advanced technologies and methodologies in order to deliver critical business functionality incrementally while adhering to architectural principles of reuse and multi-device deployment.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
– Integration of user-facing elements with server side logic
– Design and implementation of low-latency, high-availability, and performant applications
– Integration of data storage solutions that may include NoSQL databases
– Writing reusable, testable, and efficient code
– Work closely with UX designers, business partners, business analysts and software architects to deliver highly usable software that satisfies the business requirements
– Work closely with backend engineers and architects to suggest and plan the best solution with the UX in mind
Build, maintain, and utilize partnerships across the enterprise including IT architecture and enterprise technology organizations.. Provide team direction, mentorship, and feedback to technical resources. Ensure work complies with Travelers standards, processes, and protocols. Apply knowledge of current industry trends and techniques to formulate solutions within the context of assigned projects and/or enhancements. Other duties as assigned.
High School diploma or equivalent required. 3 years of programming/development experience required.
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge
Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred. 6 years of programming/development experience preferred.
Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies
3 years of programming/development experience required (6 years preferred).
2-3 years of hands on experience required with specific technologies listed below:
– Node.js and frameworks available for it such as Express, Mongoose etc.
– Java development
– Continuous delivery processes
– Proficient understanding of code distributed and collaborative versioning tools, such as GIT, GITHub
– MongoDB or NoSQL equivalent database experience
– UI technologies such as HTML5, and CSS3.
Nice to have:
– SOLR search engine experience
– Microservices development experience a plus
– Domain Driven Design experience
– Experience with all phases of the systems development life cycle using agile/lean methodologies
– Adopt and communicate new concepts, ideas, techniques and best practices
– Excellent problem analysis and problem solving skills
– Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with peers, partners and customers
– Ability to develop and present technical concepts to a business audience
– Ability to rapidly learn technical/business techniques and disciplines
– Strong commitment to high quality work and timely deliverables
– Insurance knowledge is a plus
Occasional off hours may be required.
Operates standard office equipment. Requires extended periods of computer use. Requires extended periods of sitting.
Licensing or Certificates
Depends on the specific role but some examples may include: ITIL Remedy Java certification Microsoft certification.net Kanban/Agile/SAFe
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.