180414 Sr Mechanical Development Engineer (Open Date: 02/12/2018)
Senior Mechanical Development team in system development group which design and support test equipment for the disc drive industry. Responsibilities also include designing, prototyping, reliability testing and to take ownership of the EC to be released to the production line or as for FRU change. Conceives and develops solutions to engineering problems through the application of professionally accepted engineering techniques, practices and procedures.
MAIN JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Regular (Done daily/weekly/monthly)
- Part of a multi-skilled mechanical development team which designs, develops and supports test equipment for the hard disk drive industry involving electro/ mechanical parts from automation, machine build structure, cooling system, test enclosure & interconnection design of engineering plastics, machining and sheet metal as well as thermal and vibration control.
- Recommend alterations and enhancements to improve quality of products and/or procedures using known engineering best practices.
- Supports engineering activities such as design, test, modification, fabrication and assembly of prototype electro mechanical systems or specialized test equipment.
- Apply broad perspective in mechanical engineering including statics, dynamics, thermals, materials, safety and ergonomics throughout design and development cycle.
- Develops new or modified process formulations, defines processing or handling equipment requirements and specifications, develops techniques and methods applied in the manufacture, fabrications, and evaluation of products.
- Execute Engineering change orders.
- Hands-on problem solving with self starting initiative towards working with a team.
Irregular/occasional (Done on need basis, not frequent)
- New Product Introduction support.
- Travel to the US, Far East and Europe is likely, in order to gather requirements, participate in design discussions, support during system install, commission and debug of equipment at the customer’s premises.
- Minimum Second Class Honors Degree in Mechanical Engineering with at least 5 years’ experience in mechanical/electromechanical design and development as well as possess excellent analytical skills with broad mechanical engineering knowledge.
- Knowledge, Skill and Ability
- This position is suitable for self motivated individual working in a fast moving engineering environment. Flexibility together with a strong drive for continuous improvement and high quality output are essential.
- Experienced working on cross-functional project teams is preferred.
- Proficient and thorough working knowledge in 2D and 3D modeling systems in mechanical design/drafting methods, preferably Solid works or equivalent.
- Experience in product mechanical design and development with engineering plastics.
- Knowledgeable in application in any of the following design engineering, analysis techniques and methodology:DFMA, FMEA, 8D, FEA, Rapid Prototyping manufacture and testing, component dimensioning and tolerance including good knowledge of GD&T as well as experience in product documentation and engineering change process
- Experience in product reliability and performance testing (mechanical, thermal & vibration) and manufacturing methods and process design.
- Knowledge of statistical analysis techniques for test data is preferred.
- Experience in designing with sheet metals, automation systems involving mechanisms, pneumatics and control systems would be beneficial.
- Knowledge of CFD and thermal engineering, while vibration & dynamics would be beneficial.
- An extremely positive and professional attitude towards working as a team to strict project plans and schedules.
- Flexible work ethic with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A quality focus and approach within an ISO9000/12000 environment.
- The ability to work independently with minimal supervision is preferred.
- Must be prepared to travel abroad, and work extended hours if/when required.
Job Family: Engineering Professional