Who are we?
RELX is a world leading provider of professional
information solutions, operating in 3 core markets: Science & Medical,
Legal, and Business-to-Business. Reed Elsevier is active in Europe, Latin
America, the USA and Asia Pacific, which it considers its most important growth
Elsevier is a division of RELX and a world leading provider of scientific, technical, and medical information serving more than 30 million scientists, students and health and information professionals worldwide and publishing more than 20,000 products and services globally. Electronic Publishing plays an important and growing role in the product mix and Elsevier offers a wide range of online solutions which complement the print products.
Job Title: Principal Software Engineer
Purpose of the Job:
This is a key role within our DevOps team and will involve working as part of a collaborative agile team in a shared services DevOps organization to support and deliver innovative technology solutions that directly align with the delivery of business value and enhanced customer experience. The primary objective is to provide support to Amazon Web Services hosted environment, ensure continuous 24/365 availability, working with 3rd Party resources to ensure best value for money, and effective resource management across the team.
Key Result Areas:
· Ensure integrity of the sources/deliverables.
· Build automation supporting the effective management and consumption of cloud resources
· Design and author soft infrastructure assets using IaC best practices
· Ensure traceability and retrievability of sources and deliverables.
· Provide effective solutions by implementing fit for purpose best practices in the applied integration of infrastructure, software, and system development best practices
· Operate and maintain software systems across the full breadth of the SDLC
· Review and provide inputs to the Project Managers/Managers to approve and confirm the project configurations and build management plans
· Implement and continuously improve reliable and efficient build environments for development & QA. Provide build status timely. Automate as much as possible to improve efficiency and quality
· Ensure that escrow and other contractual obligations are met. (The contractual obligations for escrow are defined by the contracts/agreements that Elsevier enters into with its clients. These normally include depositing of the sources with escrow agency. This is achieved by maintaining a document describing the escrow number, the client for whom the sources are escrowed, records of such escrow deposits made and the acknowledgements received from the escrow agency)
· Mentor other DevOps Engineers and provide feedback on their performance
· Estimate the efforts required for DevOps Activities for projects and agree schedules with the stakeholders and Agile leaders
· Understand and execute the packaging and deployment processes
· Liaise with managers and keep them informed of progress. (This is applicable to any kind of specific and periodic tasks assigned. Example: Deposit of sources under escrow commitments)
For System Verification:
· Review necessary project documents to ensure compliance to standards
· Ensure software quality in spite of schedule (and external) pressures
· Report non-compliance findings to the project team for resolution
· Analyze and record findings found during quality reviews
· Coordinate with the development teams to ensure that review and testing schedules of projects/patches are performed and completed in accordance with the agreed delivery dates
· Write test scenarios for bugs and enhancements to ensure code is tested properly
· Perform tests of upgrade releases
· Provide performance feedback to the Project Manager/Manager
· Ability to set up system environments
· Debug system environment issues and install issues before without help from development
· Ensure timely escalation of issues to the appropriate persons or groups
· Monitor team projects and schedule to ensure set deadlines are met
· Assist with the investigation and resolution of functional software questions
Functional and Technical Competencies:
· 5+ years of programming using higher level languages – java, C#
· 5+ years successfully operating in a BDD SDLC model delivering and leveraging CI/CD inclusive of infrastructure
· 6 years of system level scripting experience using modern scripting languages – python, PowerShell DSC, etc.
· Must have experience with IaaS and/or PaaS administration (Prefer AWS)
· Experience with cloud-based deployment design/implementation (Prefer AWS)
· Experience with Release Management tooling and automated provisioning tools (Chef, Puppet, Terraform, etc.)
· Experience with years of defining and implementing and evolving Configuration Management processes and plans
· Up to 39% Travel Required
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Experiences (and any other requirements):
· BS Engineering/Computer Science or equivalent experience required, advanced degree preferred