Turner International Digital Ventures & Innovation and Warner Bros. Digital Networks Group have formed a partnership to launch Filmstruck - a new international, multi-territory streaming service featuring a broad collection of high-quality movies across many categories – iconic, cult, classics, art house, independent, foreign and documentary. The new offering will leverage the strength of assets at both companies, including the massive movie catalogue and deep expertise in programming and curation.
Warner Bros. Digital Networks (WBDN) is a fast-paced, growing team that is responsible for creating and building the Studio’s digital video services, producing digital-native content and growing Warner Bros.’ direct-to-consumer capabilities. WBDNG's portfolio includes Boomerang (a partnership with Turner), DramaFever, Machinima, Warner Archive, Stage 13, Uninterrupted (a partnership with LeBron James and Maverick Carter), Ellen Digital Ventures (a partnership with Ellen DeGeneres) and various other initiatives.
Digital Ventures & Innovation (DV&I), is part of Turner International. Turner International operates versions of Turner brands including CNN, TNT and Cartoon Network across the world, whilst also focusing on digital-only brands. DV&I drives innovation, develops new revenue streams and is responsible for managing and growing Turner’s existing multi-platform suite of international products and services on the web, for smart phones, games, apps and OTT. It develops new digital direct-to-consumer businesses and consumer-centric products. The group is also charged with identifying new opportunities for Turner through technological product innovation and acquisitions.
Turner and Warner Bros. seek a Director, Platform and Distribution Business Development, International to point and lead the business development discussions and distribution platform partnership initiatives for FilmStruck International. There will also be additional responsibilities to widen these discussions to include other Turner DV&I and WBDNG products, initiatives and long-term plans.
Primary purpose of position
The Director, Platform and Distribution Business Development, International will be responsible for sourcing and securing the distribution of OTT services, and negotiate and drive platform and revenue partnerships.
Reporting initially to the GM of Filmstruck, with a plan to grow the role and report to VP Digital Ventures DV&I Turner International, the Director, Platform and Distribution Business Development, International will oversee all digital partner distribution platforms and other commercial partnerships.
As we are currently in an aggressive growth phase, the Director, Platform and Distribution Business Development, International will have meaningful involvement in the growth of future Turner and Warner Bros. Direct-to-Consumer (D2C) businesses, in addition to Filmstruck. This role will manage relationships with third party vendors, key digital distribution platforms and technology partners and liaising with key partner resources at Turner and Warner Bros.
Essential job functions
- Source and secure distribution of OTT services, both D2C and through 3rd party platforms (standalone, bundles, virtual MVPDs, etc.)
- Negotiate innovative partnerships that enhance Filmstruck (and future D2C products) distribution, content offerings and monetisation across multiple online and offline platforms
- Manage day-to-day relationships with new and existing strategic partners
- Engage meaningfully with Warner Bros. & Turner engineering/technology groups, translating product vision and feature sets into targeted business partnerships and practices
- Explore and assess opportunities to enhance and extend existing partnerships
- Responsible for revenue generation for a portfolio of OTT services and branded premium digital content
- Develop monetisation models & key strategic partnerships with the goal of driving audience growth and revenue generation
- Generate new revenue streams and support various emerging business development initiatives
- Pro-actively identify growth opportunities and revenue streams in new markets and business models for Turner and Warner Bros. brands and offerings
- Responsible for the integration of the partnerships in the applicable platforms
- Achieve meaningful scale using Turner and Warner Bros. franchises, content and creative/production capabilities
- Find ways to maximise long-term success and collaboration across all Time Warner companies and services
Skills and experience
- A clear understanding of direct-to-consumer products and brands in an entertainment context – including lifecycle of the SVOD consumer – is critical
- Experience of working with engineering/technology groups, translating product vision and feature sets into targeted business partnerships and practices
- Demonstrable track record and progressive experience in a media, consumer facing digital brand or digital distribution role
- Extensive and direct working experience with a significant SVOD player, (e.g., Netflix, Now TV, Amazon Video, Hulu, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience in successfully leading a team with a large workload and diverse skill sets
- A strong understanding of the digital distribution ecosystem, with the ability to anticipate future growth opportunities
- Strong project management skills
- Strong communication and presentation skills are a must
- Spoken and written fluency in English and at least one other major world language
- Degree educated in relevant field or equivalent experience
- MBA is preferred but not required
- Extensive experience performing the essential duties of this position
- Highly experienced in evaluating and securing distribution for OTT services
- Highly experienced in generating subscription and sponsorship/advertising revenue for OTT services
- Strong relationships with digital and mobile distribution platforms such as Apple, Google/YouTube, Amazon, Snapchat, Telcos, etc.
- Recognised in the industry as a thought leader capable of representing Turner and Warner Bros.in a wide range of growth initiatives, negotiations and deals
- Significant experience negotiating partnerships and structuring agreements
- Significant international interest and perspective, with experience working on multi-territory / cross-regional projects
- Ability to lead and motivate groups and individuals that both report directly and indirectly to the business
- Ability to manage multiple and diverse stakeholders across businesses and leadership levels
- Capacity to exercise creative direction and continually improve distribution strategies and processes
- Possess significant financial acumen, including budget management, profitability analysis and amortisation schedules
- Works well under pressure including deliverables requiring fast turn-around
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work with executive teams across functions in a matrixed organisation
- Executive presence, demonstrated influencing skills and excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong business judgment and ability to present analysis in a clear and compelling manner