Content Acquisitions Editor
About Your team
As a vital member of the content team, the Content Editor collaborates with fellow editors and our talent – subject matter experts who are also trainers, writers, and speakers, to identify, acquire and curate learning content that meets our standards using Scrum. The Content Editor is responsible for shaping and executing on the content strategy for the AI/Data space with a focus on addressing the learning and development needs of our audiences. Formats for content are limitless but currently include video, online training courses, in person conferences, infographics, in person trainings, blog posts, books, and audio content. The Content Editor works with other members of the content team and product, production, marketing and sales teams to deliver content that delivers on our learning promise. We’re a fast paced, smart, collaborative, team that enjoys working together to meet the needs of our continuous learner audience.
About the Job, Content Acquisitions Editor
The content editor is responsible for creating learning experiences through curation and acquisition of multimodal content for the AI/Data area. The editor is responsible for executing on our content strategy using our enterprise learning framework as a guide. The editor should have working knowledge of curriculum design. This position is responsible for curating and acquiring content in all formats including text, video, and audio with talent to insure we deliver on our learning promise using O’Reilly’s learning model as a guide. The editor must have the necessary skills to be able to determine pain points of our customers and identify and build solutions in the form of learning content. Properly executed, this position contributes significant revenue to the organization while maintaining O’Reilly standards. The position reports to Vice President, Content Strategy.
● Execute on a content strategy for the platform that includes a mix of video, live training, audio, and text.
● Work closely with various internal departments; editorial, product, and production staff; and externally, with talent.
● Incorporate adult learning techniques into content (i.e., ADDIE and SAM)
● Lead Scrum teams as ScrumMaster for curated content. Collaborate with editorial team members to create a cohesive learning experience.
● Demonstrate effective project management of multiple titles/projects and ensure that all projects release on time and within budget.
● Identify problem areas in content and recommend solutions.
● Build and manage relationships for our talent network.
● Intimate knowledge of content in the platform
● Understanding of enterprise learning and training needs
● Serve as internal subject matter expert for assigned topic areas
● Participate in industry events, ORM conferences where appropriate and at the discretion of the VP of Content Strategy.
● Support sales and marketing with detailed content information during the marketing and sales processes.
You are a continuous learner, self-starter and problem solver with strong acquisitions, curation, and relationship management skills. Familiarity or willingness to learn the subject matter domains is essential to your success. Your ability to execute on content strategy through collaboration is vital to your success. We encourage strong opinions loosely held.
● Strong editorial and project management skills
● Strong written, presentation, and verbal communication skills
● Ability to unravel particularly thorny content problems
● Ability to discern what makes a good learning experience, both in terms of audience and market requirements and the quality of a proposal
● Ability to work on tight deadlines
● Ability to write clearly and accurately on technical subject matter
● Ability to effectively communicate with customers, talent, product, design, production, sales and content colleagues
● Ability to maintain high professional standards in interacting with others—inside and outside of the company—at all times
● A strong interest in building learning content and training materials.
● 4-year college degree in education, English, instructional design, communications, publishing, computer science, or other relevant field, or a combination of relevant education and experience
● 3+ years experience with content acquisitions.
● 3+ years experience in editorial and project management