Monsanto is seeking an exceptionally talented individual with a passion for multidisciplinary work in the intersection of computational genomics, data science, and mathematical modeling. The role is for a Data Scientist on our Global IT Analytics team. The Global IT Analytics team is a diverse and high-performing group that finds creative and innovative analytical solutions to problems across the company, with a focus on large-scale, cross-functional solutions. This individual will play a key role in the development of the analytical foundations underlying the future organization and use of genomic data across the company. They will collaborate regularly with teams in our IT, Biotech, and Breeding organizations. This is an exciting opportunity for a talented and passionate individual to join a transformational, cross-functional project that will have high impact across the company.
· Masters plus 2 years experience or PhD degree or completion of a PhD degree in the next 6 months in Computational Biology, Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistical Genetics, or related field of study
· Solid foundation in computational and statistical theory. Deep understanding of advanced analytical concepts and techniques.
· Knowledge of a biological discipline such as genomics, statistical/molecular genetics, or plant breeding
· Experience in applying analytical methodologies to biological data
· Proficiency in one or more modern programming languages
· Expertise in working with large data sets in a high-performance environment such as distributed cluster or cloud computing. Experience with Unix environment and command-line tools.
· Demonstrable flexibility and desire to learn new technical tools as needed to solve problems
· Excellent communication skills, with ability to summarize complex multi- disciplinary concepts in language understandable for scientists, analysts, and businesspeople from a variety of backgrounds
· Ability to work in a matrix environment, influencing people at varying levels of responsibility
· Knowledge of genomics, statistical genetics, and plant breeding
· Experience analyzing genetic/genomic data
· Experience with cloud computing and virtualization technology
· Experience with several programming paradigms (e.g. object-oriented, functional, scripting). Experience with Python, R, and Java languages. Experience with command-line tools and scripting.
· Familiarity with agile project management
· Strong publication record in leading scientific journals