The American Red Cross is a strong network of volunteers, donors and partners who are always there in times of need. We aspire to turn compassion into action so that all people affected by disaster across the country and around the world receive care, shelter and hope; our communities are ready and prepared for disasters; everyone in our country has access to safe, lifesaving blood and blood products; all members of our armed services and their families find support and comfort whenever needed; and in an emergency, there are always trained individuals nearby, ready to use their Red Cross skills to save lives.
We are currently seeking a Senior Recruitment Specialist, Volunteer Services (Columbia, SC) to work in our Columbia, SC office. This position will work 8:00am to 4:30pm Monday through Friday, and some weekends and evenings will be required during times of business need. Travel will also be involved up to 60% of the time.
The Senior Recruitment Specialist, Volunteer Services is responsible for developing and implementing broad based recruitment strategies to attract and identify Red Cross volunteers to effectively support Regional goals and mission critical activities.
1. Achieve assigned recruitment metrics that will meet specific volunteer needs identified through the Volunteer Needs Assessment tool. Emphasis placed on geography, skill sets, availability and leadership experience. Actively engage in direct, focused, targeted volunteer recruiting within the region through various resource pools, networks and social media.
2. Identify, cultivate, and maintain relationships with key volunteer recruitment agencies or organizations, market segments and other populations to recruit volunteers to meet regional recruitment metrics, and to build a strong volunteer candidate pipeline based on needs assessments. This may include leveraging recruitment venues, in-person presentations, social media campaigns and identifying user groups and professional associations which could lead to qualified candidates.
3. Partner with internal staff to strengthen existing relationships and identify and evaluate prospective new volunteer recruitment sources and partnerships within the Region.
4. Evaluate and modify recruitment strategies based on lessons learned.
5. Coach, develop and lead volunteer recruitment teams (paid and volunteers), and foster a culture of volunteerism that supports and assists in implementing regional recruitment strategies. Provide appropriate performance feedback and guidance.
6. Using the Red Cross brand, collaborate with national and regional marketing and communications teams to leverage existing or develop new recruitment materials; and create presentations to ensure maximum effectiveness for online and in-person targeted recruitment efforts.
7. Responsible for monitoring and maintaining accurate records of all potential and actual volunteer leads through the appropriate volunteer tracking tool.
8. Prepare and maintain monthly reports on specific regional volunteer recruitment activity.
Education: Bachelor's degree in Business or equivalent combination of related education and experience required.
Experience: Minimum 5-7 years related experience required.
Minimum 6 months supervisory experience
Skills & Abilities:
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Proficiency in training and presentation skills, as well as the ability to relate effectively to people of diverse backgrounds and education levels.
• Demonstrated ability to recruit diverse individuals for multiple positions.
• Knowledge of group dynamics, direct sales, customer maintenance techniques, negotiation skills, and the ability to effectively implement programs preferred.
• Strong organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple and continuously evolving priorities effectively are required.
• Recruiting experience or the ability to effectively communicate and represent Red Cross mission and activities in a positive and realistic manner preferred.
• Intermediate proficiency with MS Office applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
• Team player
• Communication (written & oral)
• Presentation skills
• Building Effective Relationships
May involve travel. A current valid driver's license and good driving record is required.
Depending on work assignment, may require ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations; or the ability to stand, walk and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of up to 20 pounds. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read technical information. Overall mobility is essential. May include sitting for long periods of time, driving a vehicle and working under challenging conditions. Will include working evenings and/or weekends occasionally.
Work is performed indoors with some potential for exposure to safety and health hazards related to emergency services relief work. May travel and participate in meetings and conferences throughout chapter jurisdiction, state and Red Cross system. Because the Red Cross is a disaster response organization, staff may be asked to be on 24-hour call during period of major disaster.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee’s professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights