Job Code and Payroll Title
7199 Data Systems Analyst III
Working alongside our agile technical team, the Research Data Manager will design, develop, maintain, and administer a variety of large databases in AWS Redshift, which will require familiarity with MySQL and/or Postgres. The candidate will coordinate all incoming 3rd party data and will be responsible for integrating this data with all data collected via internal systems for a variety of studies. The data collected internally will consist largely of survey data, self-reported measurement data, and streaming data from a variety of devices and applications. The Research Data Manager will be responsible for creating and maintaining existing SAS scripts for reviewing, cleaning, transforming, and exporting data to AWS S3 storage for analytic purposes.
The Research Data Manager will manage data dictionaries and documentation for all databases and create algorithms for scoring and deriving data/instruments for analytic purposes. The candidate will assist researchers and fellows in navigating data points/data sets/data streams available for use in their analysis. The candidate will also write reports and create data visualizations as requested in support of various research projects.
The Research Data Manager also be responsible for maintaining the PCORnet (Patient Centered Outcomes Research) SQL database and ensuring it is populated and maintained according to the latest CDM standards. The candidate will work closely with campus personnel to integrate medical center PCORnet data into our study-specific model. All PCORnet data pulls, reports, and algorithms must be scripted in SAS. The ideal candidate will have experience in writing generalizable SAS scripts/macros that can be used across the entire PCORnet network.
DEPARTMENT OF MEDICINE / CARDIOLOGY
The Department of Medicine is the largest department in the UCSF School of Medicine. To advance health, the Department of Medicine develops and supports innovators in patient-centered care, scientific discovery, medical education and public policy across four main sites (Parnassus, SFGH, VAMC, and Mt. Zion) and 39 divisions. The Cardiology Division at Parnassus/Mt. Zion runs several clinical practices in multiple sites, conducts basic and clinical research, and educates medical students, residents, clinical fellows and postdoctoral scholars through Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) and non-ACGME training programs.
The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is a leading university dedicated to promoting health worldwide through advanced biomedical research, graduate-level education in the life sciences and health professions, and excellence in patient care. It is the only campus in the 10-campus UC system dedicated exclusively to the health sciences.
Research Data Manager
Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
• Bachelor's degree in related area and / or three to five years of experience in data analytics
• Ability to prepare data models unassisted
• Familiarity with data model patterns in one or more common business or academic domains
• Familiarity with logical data design and data mapping or data conversion
• Familiarity with data quality and governance issues and requirements
• Experience working with large datasets (millions of rows) from a variety of sources
• Ability to represent relevant information in abstract models
• Familiarity with ETL processes/tools, SAS, SQL/T-SQL, and GitHub
• Thorough knowledge of data management systems, practices and standards, and formats (json, xml, csv)
• Thorough knowledge of relevant rules and regulations
• Demonstrated ability to work with others from diverse backgrounds. Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills. Demonstrated service orientation skills
• Demonstrated ability to communicate technical information to technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization
• Self-motivated and works independently and as part of a team
• Demonstrated strong problem-solving skills. Able to learn effectively and meet deadlines
• Strong organizational skills
• Strong analytical and design skills, including the ability to abstract information requirements from real-world processes to understand information flows in computer systems
• Ability to represent relevant information in abstract models. Critical thinking skills and attention to detail
Note: Fingerprinting and background check required.
• Experience with R and/or Stata, Python and/or Scala, AWS Redshift, Spark, AWS
• Familiarity with PCORNet (Patient Centered Outcomes Research Network) commond data model
• Experience with data from electronic health records
• Familiarity with HIPAA standards
• Familiarity with medications and medical conditions mapping systems (RxNorm, SNOMED, NDC)
• Prior experience in a small development group where you need to wear a lot of hats
DOM / Cardiology
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.