Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Responsible for the design, implementation, and maintenance of new and existing features for the existing portfolio of applications for a business area
• Responsible for communication and collaboration with key stakeholders in the delivery of features
• Design, codes, configures, unit tests, maintains, and documents software deliverables using agreed upon standards and tools. Participates in sizing and estimation activities within the agile team
• Communicates daily with the Scrum Master or Team Lead and the Agile team on progress made and planned progress for the coming day and reports any impediments that are blocking their progress
• Participates in code reviews and sprint retrospectives; ensuring their ideas for team continuous improvement are communicated so that the overall process and team can improve sprint by sprint and readily receives feedback for self-improvement
• Focuses on delivering business priority and value at all times
• Responsible for ensuring the quality of existing and new features through both manual and automated testing and use of continuous integration techniques, where practical
• Demonstrates an interest in software architectures and seeks to design solutions in alignment with Company stated architecture and standards
• Participate in Proof Of Concept work and prototyping when necessary
• Collaborates with Business Analysts to confirm understanding of business requirements relating to features to be delivered and to help the Business Analyst define requirements that can be delivered from a technical perspective
• Collaborates with User Experience (UX) designers to ensure designs produced can be translated efficiently into working solutions for feature delivery
• Collaborates with the agile team to establish the definition of done for each of the stages of production within the team
• Collaborate with Test Engineers and Senior Test Engineers to ensure that software meets the definition of done; ensuring successful transition of work to the next stage of production during the sprints
• Ensures an innovation culture in the team by continuous improvement of deliveries and participates in evaluating new processes and technologies that can be applied to future feature delivery
• Collaborates with Technical Support Engineers to transition software features to a production environment ensuring that the deliveries meet application performance criteria, release standards; and ensures application and system stability.
• Automates testing of software to industry standards of software automation ensuring very high quality application/solution delivery and efficient regression of existing features
• Ensures that the latest project progress is known to the agile team by ensuring Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) tools are up to date and participating in daily standups outlining progress made, progress planned and detailing impediments
• Thinks with the mind of the end customer at all times, ensuring solutions seek to improve the customer experience and delight their customers.
• Ensure the continued protection of Unum’s information, by following all applicable Information Security policies and procedures and by reporting suspected weaknesses in information security controls to the Information Security Officer.
• Understand how Conduct Risk, Treating Customers Fairly (TCF) Risk Management and Solvency II systems of Governance relate to both the role and the divisional activities and highlight any opportunities for improvement.
• Comply with Unum’s Code of Conduct and other Company Policies and Procedures as appropriate to the role.
• University Degree preferred, or equivalent relevant business experience
• Shows evidence of analytical ability
• Takes a logical, analytical approach to problem solving and pays close attention to detail
• Knowledge of Agile Development Methodologies
• Self motivated and results oriented
• Takes an innovative approach to problem solving
• Demonstrates strong focus on quality delivery and delighting customers; holds self to high standards of delivery
• Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills.
• Strong team player; able to work effectively within a team and more broadly with people from a variety of backgrounds and areas across the organization.
#LI-GH1This is a great opportunity to work for a UK subsidiary of a global organisation, we look after our employees, offer a great work-life balance, generous benefits, a professional challenge and fantastic career opportunities.