Requisition 8803: Fall 2018 - IT
Posting Start Date: 01/05/2018
Posting End Date: 09/01/2018
A Day in the Life of an Information Technology Co-Op/Internship
As a co-op/intern within our Information Technology Department, you will have the opportunity to be involved with the development of a variety of enterprise web applications and with existing systems enhancements to help facilitate train operations. You will also be working on enhancing unique and exciting systems that support business operations including train management and control systems, geographic information systems and maps, complex event management, customer support systems and may include support, trouble-shooting and problem resolution skills.
What makes a successful Information Technology Coop?
- Articulate technical and business elements of the job function.
- Strong communication skills both verbally & written.
- Have the aptitude to learn new skills, interact with and engage with peers, management, and business partners.
- Complete requests for voice and data connectivity
- Work on multiple projects with your teammates.
- Be entrusted with independent assignments.
- Preferred Skills: Knowledge of LAN/WAN network connectivity, 802.11 wireless, PBX systems, and VISIO is desirable.
Open Enterprise Services
- Write C/C++, Perl, and shell scripts
- Develop web-based applications
- Register and install Linux servers
- Create technical documentation of newly developed systems
- Preferred Skills: Visio, Java, HTML, PHP, Perl, SQL, Linux, Apache web server, JBoss, or experience with web development
Positive Train Control
- Participate in all steps of test plan development and testing methodology for a revolutionary safety technology
- Possible development tasks involving the creation of testing tools and testing automation
- Participate in application testing
- Develop DB2 LUW databases and ad hoc queries
- Update Uniface and C programs
- Write scripts in the AIX platform
- Analyze data and report results to management
- Required Skills: JAVA, Linux or Unix, SQL, C
- Preferred Skills: C++, Perl/Shell Scripting
TYES Application Development
- Develop and debug applications
- Construct new screens and enhance existing screens in .NET
- Map workflows and document test script results
- Monitor, resolve, and report the status of projects and trouble tickets
- Required Skills: Knowledge of C#, VB, .NET, SQL and/or UNIX
- Perform Java and C# programming to support our content management and GIS systems
- Develop and maintain client-server and web applications
- Required Skills: Knowledge of Java and experience or significant coursework in data structures is needed
- Write C/C++, Perl, and Kornshell scripts
- Develop web-based and SharePoint applications
- Register and install Unix servers
- Create and maintain project plans
- Preferred Skills: Visio, Java, HTML, PHP, Perl, SQL, SharePoint, Apache web server, Tomcat, or web development
- Enhance, customize, and debug existing web and mobile applications
- Preferred Skills: DB2 SQL, EXTJS, Ant, Gradle, or Git. Knowledge of SDLC, QA testing, application test scripts, or high-level understanding of system design and architecture.
- You will be primarily responsible for production support issues.
- Assist with back office web development
- Stub out application components using .NET
- Enhance and customize existing applications
- Required Skills: .NET, C#, and WPF
Enterprise Wintel Services
- Server building/decommissioning
- Exchange and Active Directory
- Application development and installs
- Required Skills: Good organizational and documentation skills
- Preferred Skills: Experience with Windows Server, VMWare ESX, C#, or .NET
- Remediate unhealthy ePO agents
- Investigate high malware devices
- Complete variance database management, asset health, and other checks
- Provide situational awareness to management
- Required Skills: General knowledge of security concepts and tools
- Bachelor’s/Master’s Degree
- Preferred Degree Paths: Computer and Information Sciences, Computer Engineering, Management Information Systems and majors in a similar field of study will be considered
- Freshman (27 or fewer credits) - $2,500/month
- Sophomore (28 to 59 credits) - $2,800/ month
- Junior (60 to 89 credits) - $3,000/month
- Senior (90 or more credits) - $3,300/month
- Graduate Student - $3,666/month
*Living stipend of $850/month is available to those who qualify.
Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC) is one of the nation’s premier transportation companies. Its Norfolk Southern Railway Company subsidiary operates approximately 19,500 route miles in 22 states and the District of Columbia, serves every major container port in the eastern United States, and provides efficient connections to other rail carriers. Norfolk Southern operates the most extensive intermodal network in the East and is a major transporter of coal, automotive, and industrial products.
We are a team of more than 28,000 employees working together to maintain our reputation as "The Thoroughbred of Transportation". As an industry leader, Norfolk Southern offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package.
Norfolk Southern is an equal opportunity employer including veterans and disabled.
Nearest Major Market: Atlanta