The Facilities Management unit of the Division of Facilities and Services at West Virginia University is accepting applications for a Trades Specialist I within Roads and Grounds. Under the supervision of the supervisor and/or lead, this position shall perform skilled landscape construction duties.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Operate equipment such as payloaders, backhoes, road grader, dozers, asphalt pavers, rollers, forklifts, crane trucks, large dump trucks, sanitation vehicles, landscape equipment, and skid loaders. Operates tractors, lawn maintenance equipment, and power tools needed to perform landscape construction and maintenance.
- Install, constructs, and maintains landscape structures while using materials such as concrete, bituminous concrete, flagstone, field stone, sculptured stone, brick, blocks, pavers, retaining wall blocks, and landscape timbers.
- Apply sealers, anti-spalling compounds, adhesives, etc. in performing normal duties. This includes the finishing of concrete according to standard practices and procedures.
- Perform landscaping tasks including the planting of trees and ornamental shrubs. Seeds and slices lawns, aerates, fertilizes, and applies soil amendments using tractors and power equipment. Follows verbal or written instructions and interprets blueprints that pertain to landscape construction.
- Remove snow from sidewalks, steps, roads, and parking lots by means of trucks, tractors, power brooms, and hand tools.
- Be able to respond to emergency situations on all occasions and must be available for telephone contact during all emergency and unsafe environmental conditions.
- Perform repairs on all equipment as needed. Complete service and maintenance on equipment and trucks such as greasing, oil changes, etc. Assists the mechanics with major repairs.
- Maintain cleanliness of assigned areas by mechanical or hand methods.
- Fabricate parts and performs repairs on grounds equipment using torches, welders, lathes, drill presses, and other shop equipment as required.
- Assist in the upkeep of maintenance records for trucks and grounds equipment.
- Provide for the proper preventive maintenance of all equipment including such things as oil, fuel, belts, tires, batteries, brake adjustments, reel adjustments, greasing, etc. required on a daily basis for all Roads & Grounds equipment.
- Perform preventive maintenance on all equipment involving daily and/or weekly inspections.
- Perform duties as needed to complete seasonal change over on all trucks and equipment.
Work Hours: 7 am - 3 pm, Tuesday - Saturday
Pay Grade: 13
- Vocational or technical training of up to 18 months beyond High School in masonry, carpentry, or mechanics or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least two (2) years of directly related grounds maintenance experience within a commercial environment.
- At least two (2) years of experience operating all types of ground equipment such as mowers, spreaders, and loaders, etc.
- Background Check
- Commercial Driver’s License
- Class B License
- Work requires simple hand/eye operations and some accuracy and regularity of motions, such as set-up and operation of basic instruments and equipment, and/or the occasional use of standard hand or power tools with minimal speed requirements.
- Ability to perform heavy lifting, bending, walking, standing, carrying, and climbing stairs daily.
- Perform digging as needed.
- Able to operate equipment on rough, steep terrain for long periods of time as needed.
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at http://hr.wvu.edu/.
West Virginia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff and students, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans.
Jan 8, 2018
Read Full Description