Software Engineering Technical Leader - Bioinformatics
Novartis Pharma AG
Research & Development
NIBR Oncology is seeking an experienced software engineer/technical lead to drive the development of world-class solutions to support our research & translational efforts. Your work would directly accelerate research to bring new, life-saving products to the clinic.
• Guide an agile team to deliver software projects responsible for the integration, management & visualization of a range of different clinical, biomarker & genomics datasets.
• Manage and mentor junior team members and champion good software & agile practices
• Collaborate with other software engineers, scientists, clinicians, subject matter experts, and data curation experts.
Your first project would be the implementation of a data catalog for NIBR Oncology, including marshalling, transforming, and integrating internal and publically available data for bioinformaticians and scientists. You would have opportunities to build new systems for clarifying and visualizing Oncology’s data to facilitate the generation of new scientific hypotheses. These tools would leverage a wide range of existing services and require strong collaboration with other software teams to understand and improve these services. You would be expected to:
• Join a project in its initial stages; be responsible for prototyping early technology choices and producing rapid iterations for presentation to scientists.
• Translate prototypes into rock solid applications across a wide range of data services
• Write clean, well-designed code, employing object-oriented principles and standard design patterns.
• Use JIRA, Confluence, Jenkins, and other tools to implement best practices in documentation, test-driven development, continuous integration, and iterative development lifecycle.
• Actively participate in an agile environment to efficiently produce high quality software and provide retrospective feedback to continue to streamline the team work process. Minimum requirements You must have the ability to work comfortably in multiple programming languages with a bias toward implementation of user facing applications. A background that includes exposure to all layers of the development stack in a tiered architecture, e.g. presentation, service, domain logic, and database, is a huge plus. Understanding of computer systems architecture, data integration concepts, and deployment and support of applications in a pharmaceutical/biotech environment is also preferred.
• B.S., M.S., or equivalent experience in computer science or bioinformatics
• 7+ years experience designing and delivering production software, preferably in the bioinformatics or cancer genomics space.
• Proven experience as a technical lead on agile teams including management responsibility for a small team
• Solid programming skills in Java, Python or another high-level programming language.
• Interest in expanding knowledge of biological sciences and desire to learn about genetics & genomics
• Knowledge and experience of SQL, relational databases, and object-oriented schemas
• Practical experience and passion for agile software development practices, e.g. SCRUM, Test Driven Development, Code review and working in a cross-functional team
• Prior experience developing scientific applications in a pharmaceutical or biotech environment is a plus.
• Knowledge of AWS services and appropriate architectural patterns to build scalable/high performance applications in the cloud
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; proven ability to work effectively within a team; ability to communicate and understand complex concepts in both technical and non-technical terms
• Fluency in spoken and written English