Who are we?
Elsevier is a world-leading provider of information solutions that help you make better decisions, deliver better care, and sometimes make groundbreaking discoveries in science, health, and technology. We serve researchers, professionals, and clinicians, through the application of technology and analytics to content, empowering them to create knowledge, contribute to social progress, and enhance human well being. We are delivering next-generation professional information solutions and technology to our broad client base – and we need a team of exceptional sales leaders and professionals to join us on the journey.
Elsevier publish over 2,500 journals and more than 33,000 book titles, and provide web-based, digital solutions — among them ScienceDirect, Scopus, Evolve, Knovel, Reaxys and ClinicalKey.
Job Title: Business Intelligence (BI) Analyst
Purpose of the Job:
The Business Intelligence (BI) Analyst will be primarily responsible for ensuring the Elsevier enterprise BI assets, e.g. OBIEE are used for the designed purpose and utilized to help Operations to deliver on its objectives through the optimal use of these assets.
Under the supervision of the Head of Analytics CoE Chennai and working closely with Operations management teams, BTS, Finance, OES and CIM teams, the BI analyst proactively applies her/his skills to improve usage of dashboards and deliver on the data needs of the stakeholders.
In line with the Enterprise BI framework, she / he supports development of future BI infrastructure and applies tools and techniques to move Operations from usage of myriads of reactive flat reports to robust, coherent and consistent drill down dashboards. She /he will also act as an interface between BI/analytics contacts within each business unit and the stakeholders from whom data is sourced - to ensure that the overall process of data sourcing and aggregation (including structural integrity and quality) is taken care of.
Use ability to analyze, organize, hypothesize and present data to translate information requests from the business into useful reports and dashboards. Deliver new, previously unimagined insights. Using your technical knowledge explore new (business intelligence: BI) technologies, applications and systems that can be adopted in the future or that can improve the services we deliver to our customers.
Ensure accuracy and integrity of data and assist in decision making:
• Participate in relevant BI technology discussions, workshops and projects imparting operational knowledge and experience to enrich decision making.
• Develop understanding of internal tool opportunities to improve sourcing, manipulation and deliver of data
• In collaboration with BTS, explore/develop / deploy technical solutions to enhance data collection, storage, retrieval and reporting
• Lead data sourcing from primary and secondary sources, in line with the data governance framework.
Build dashboard and reports:
• Design and develop reports and dashboards that are scalable, user-friendly and supported by the agreed methods and tools (Elsevier BI reference framework)
• Build dashboards that are user-friendly, scalable across multiple teams and provide drill down capabilities
• Develop and manage automated routines for data and report deliveries as per agreed mode of communication and timing
• Provide consultative services with building quick, stand-alone solutions and prototypes
• Translate, were applicable, stand-alone solutions into scalable dashboards / models in line with the BI strategy
• Build data models or repositories to manipulate data into a usable structured format. Work with current tools and reporting teams to improve raw data usability.
• Understand and monitor all existing reporting resources including cubes, manual reports, Oracle Service Cloud, Cognos etc to enable trending, outlier analysis and anomaly identification
• Identify best data blending tool for identified data sources with advanced data inquisitiveness and technical expertise
• Undertake analysis using range of statistical modelling techniques as analysis requires
• Provide business stakeholders with relevant analysis and support them throughout the decision-making process
• Once anomalies identified use root cause analysis tools and techniques to identify cause and then assign owners for improvement investigation/action
• Communicate and collaborate with stakeholders to ensure correct action taken to address anomalies ensuring issue resolution completed and effect confirmation tracked
• Provide ad hoc analysis as per management/stakeholder requirements.
Dashboards / reporting / data visualization:
• Ensure data collected and reported are accurate and correct in all aspects and and meet data compliance standards.
• Ensure all technical solutions that are made available are tested and works to its expected functionality.
• Participate and support data compliance exercises that get initiate within Operations.
Manage documentation and procedures:
• Create (wherever applicable) and maintain documentation related to data infrastructure, dashboards and reports and store in appropriate repositories, including SharePoint sites and Nonsolus.
• Establish procedures to track and monitor change requests.
• Maintain change log of all changes and revisions that are made.
• Interact and develop relationships with teams within and outside Operations with the purpose of understanding the data needs
• Cross pollinate best practices across the organization
• Help teams with practical solutions that are in line with the overall BI strategy.
Functional and Technical Competencies:
• Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy.
• Good understanding of descriptive and inferential statistics and familiarity with advanced statistical techniques
• Comfortable in dealing with basic algebra / linear equations
• Good commercial awareness.
• Confident presenting to and working with up to Senior Management level.
• Awareness, ability and inquisitiveness to learn new tools to get quickly up to speed with Elsevier's technology/systems landscape required (Delta; Oracle; Cognos reporting etc).
• Ability to ask the right questions and always open for feedback.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Experiences (and any other requirements):
• Minimum qualification: Bachelor’s degree (certification in business intelligence / analytics / statistics / Six Sigma will be an added advantage)
• Minimum 5 years and up to 8 years of hands on experience in the field of reporting and analytics.
• Data Literacy: Understanding of complex data infrastructures and how to protect sensitive data. Able to explain integrating data in complex data infrastructures (e.g. multiple systems; varying types of data sources)
• Data wrangling: data cleansing, setting up measurement systems and relational databases, sql queries joining and transforming complex data into an analysis-ready dataset. Working knowledge on ETL tools such as Knime or Alteryx will be an added advantage
• Data Exploration: Hands on experience in exploratory data analysis to identify patterns/trends and identify data anomalies/outliers
• Statistical analysis experience required: Understand and can explain a range of statistical modelling techniques and their uses.
• Data Visualization: Presents actionable insights in a simple story. Effective visualization representation of story (emotion/connection). Advanced knowledge of visualization tools especially Microsoft Power BI and Tableau
• Programming Experience in programming languages such as R, Python and Excel Macros, with good understanding on the landscape of the most commonly used data science libraries and packages.
• Strong communicator: able to communicate complex, detailed technical/analytical data via enhanced verbal and written communication skills including to non-technical/analytical audience/Senior Management team level as required
• Knowledge of Microsoft Power BI; Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition and Oracle Service Cloud required will be an added advantage
• Advanced MS Excel skills.