VP Originator – Commercial Bank Financial Sponsors Group
Chicago, IL or Houston, TX
Financial Sponsors Group
Middle Market Financial Sponsors Group (“MMFSG”) is part of the Middle Market Banking and Specialized Industries vertical within Commercial Banking. Executive Directors will liaise with a targeted set of Private Equity Groups (“PEGs”) as a means to source new clients, transactions, and cross selling opportunities with the ultimate goal of capturing broader investment banking, commercial banking, and asset management share of wallet within the PEG’s portfolio. The group will focus on PEG owned U.S. and Canadian-based clients and prospects of Commercial Banking, These companies generally will have sales between $50 million and $750 million.
In addition to its responsibilities in covering PEGs, the Financial Sponsors Group will assist Middle Market Banking and Specialized Industries (“MMBSI”) in evaluating leveraged financing and enterprise value lending opportunities. The team will also provide analytical and due diligence support to our partners in Middle Market Banking and Credit as they evaluate new client and prospect conversion opportunities arising from Private Equity Group (PEG) referrals. The Financial Sponsors Group may also maintain the ability to selectively originate and evaluate second lien lending opportunities.
As a Financial Sponsors team member you'll be expected to perform as a fully contributing member of the PEG coverage team and will be exposed to a variety of industries and businesses. The role of the Vice President is to partner with Managing Directors in managing PEG relationships and to drive the analysis, due diligence and execution of complex debt transactions for Chase Commercial Banking clients.
- Partner with, and provide secondary support to Managing Directors in managing PEG relationships.
- Oversee and direct preparation of marketing materials and presentations.
- Oversight of modeling, assumptions, structuring and enterprise value analysis through pre-screen stage of transaction management.
- In consultation with Middle Market Banking and Credit and Financial Sponsors Managing Directors, lead development and negotiation of proposal letters and term sheets with Private Equity sponsors and target companies.
- Maintain primary responsibility for preparation of pre-screen memos and financial models.
- In coordination with Financial Sponsors Managing Directors, lead pre-screen presentations.
- In partnership with Financial Sponsors Managing Directors and Middle Market Credit and Banking, lead pre-proposal letter business diligence.
- Lead migration of early stage analysis and modeling for incorporation into Middle Market underwriting and memo preparation.
- Provide support to Middle Market Banking and Credit for later stage due diligence.
- In coordination with Financial Sponsors Managing Directors and Middle Market Credit and Banking, lead documentation review and negotiation to assure consistency of transaction terms.
- Maintain ongoing connectivity role between portfolio clients, banker teams, and sponsor owners.
- In conjunction with Middle Market Banking and Credit Teams, negotiate waivers and amendments associated with refinancings, acquisitions, and changes in portfolio company financial performance.
- Primary responsibility for training Associates.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of 4+ years of lending and credit related experience in the financial services industry
- Completion of a formal bank Credit Training Program preferred
- Executive presence demonstrating the ability to interact and influence company management teams, commercial bankers, and third parties (including PEGs, merger advisors, law firms, etc)
- Ability and willingness to train and appropriately delegate responsibilities to junior staff members
- Working knowledge of Commercial Banking, credit and debt capital markets products
- Excellent financial modeling and analytical skills
- Strong credit acumen and knowledge
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to be a team player
- Series 79 and 63 licensed (or must obtain)