Produce more. Conserve more. Improve lives. That’s Monsanto’s vision for a better world. Achieving this vision demands revolutionizing agriculture through technology. Agriculture adoption of GPS, sensors, imaging and state-of-the art precision equipment has enabled the creation of computer generated prescriptions for farmers’ fields. The ag transformation from simple, mechanical based operations to complex computer based systems is possible because of data science & analytics. The digital revolution in agriculture rivals past technology changes such as mechanization, hybrid seeds, and biotechnology.
Monsanto collects terabytes of data across all aspects of its operations, from genome sequencing, crop field trials, manufacturing, supply chain, commercial and everything in between. There is an enormous need and potential here to do something that has never been done before. We need great Big Data Engineers to help transform these complex scientific and commercial datasets into innovative software that drives our focus on continuously improving the experiences of our customers, partners and other key stakeholders. There’s never been a greater demand for your skills in agriculture.
If you love developing innovative, breakthrough technologies that create breakthrough products, you’ll want to check out this exciting Data Engineer opportunity at Monsanto!
What you will do:
- Be a critical senior member of a full-stack data engineering team focused on creating distributed analysis capabilities around our datasets
- Think through complex problems and work to solve them by applying cutting edge data engineering practices
- Collaborate closely with your engineering team colleagues and with data scientists across multiple research teams
- Take pride in software craftsmanship, diving deep into code and constantly innovating
Why you should join us:
- You will work with other top level talent solving a wide range of complex and unique challenges that have real world impact
- Monsanto values the exploration of all relevant technology stacks to find the best fit for each dataset
Required Education and Skills/Experience:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant discipline
- 5+ years of experience with developing ETL/Data Pipeline solutions
- 7+ years of experience with Java, Scala and/or Python
- 3+ years of proven experience with distributed systems (e.g. Mesos, Kubernetes, Spark, Hadoop, distributed databases, grid computing, etc.)
- Experience designing and implementing a Data Lake solution
- Ability to perform complex data analysis with large volumes of data.
- Experience with image data analysis
- Experience with stream processing (Kafka, Spark Streaming, Akka, Flink, etc.)
- Expert level proficiency with SQL
- Experience data modeling for large scale databases, either relational or NoSQL (graph, key:value, document, etc.)
- Experience leading small teams of engineers (directly or indirectly)
Desired Education and Skills/Experience:
- Experience with data privacy concerns
- Ability to build and maintain modern cloud architecture (e.g. AWS, Google Cloud, etc.)
- Experience contributing to open source projects
- Knowledge of data science practices to better steer our efforts to support Data Scientists through the infrastructure we create
Who is Monsanto?
Monsanto is an agriculture company with more than 20,000 employees focused on making a balanced meal accessible to everyone. We work to help farmers produce food in a more sustainable way. We think about how our food is grown so farmers have the tools they need to have better harvests.
We believe that bringing diverse perspectives together is the most effective way to develop creative solutions to some of the world’s biggest challenges. Career opportunities at Monsanto range from farming, plant breeding, chemistry and engineering to marketing, environmental science, IT and many other areas. We’re always looking for exceptional professionals interested in developing a strong career while collaborating to develop solutions for sustainable agriculture. Sound like a job for you?
Why work with us?
- Life at Monsanto means collaborating with dedicated professionals in a stimulating environment
- Our people demonstrate our winning culture through positive and meaningful relationships
- You will work with market leading brand products in a global organization
- We provide competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and some of the best career development opportunities in the industry
- Monsanto is named Great Place to Work in many countries around the world
Join our global team where your contribution will make a real difference!
Job Information Technology
Primary LocationNorth America-USA-Missouri-St. Louis
Organization GLB Breeding - NA Breeding Mgmt_51078627