Monsanto’s Global Breeding Automation Engineering Team is a group of technologists passionate about creating the systems that fuel the farm of the future. We are reimagining and rebuilding our entire suite of field and lab technologies for the world of digital ag, a world that is geospatial, that is automated, that is cognitive. A world where every plant matters. A world where machines, agronomists, breeders, scientists, and engineers work collaboratively to deliver products that revolutionize the experience of our customers.
Our team is looking for a Single Seed Software Systems Lead to join our team and lead the way to enabling a whole new world of process automation capabilities. The evolution of data connectivity, user experience, machine learning, and supporting hardware technologies has provided us with a toolset to create the next generation of automated single seed systems. Platforms such as seed chippers and seed sorters which enable the Monsanto R&D pipeline where every seed has an identity and every seed matters. These systems will be data driven and provide real-time results that drive the decision-making capabilities of other machines and people. You will assume hands on ownership of the architecture, engineering, and development of the software systems that will facilitate a new generation of data and human connectivity across all our single seed systems.
Individuals who will be successful in this role will thrive in a fast-paced, multifaceted R&D environment where collaboration is a must. You will be a technical leader with a natural curiosity, innovative vision, and drive to realize that vision. Your curiosity will empower you to become a system level expert, enabling you to understand business needs and question them when necessary. Applying your vision to this understanding of the “big picture” will drive the development of the roadmap that redefines the dynamic of automation, data, and human interaction. Ultimately, the desire to see your vision succeed will be what motivates you to take the level of initiative and ownership necessary for the entire team’s success.
- Architecture, engineering, and development of single seed systems software systems
- Matrixed leadership of a team of software engineers
- Collaboration with engineering platform and engineering support teams to set prioritization of work
- Interfacing IT and customer business units to ensure seamless enterprise integration of single seed platforms
- Collaboration with other software engineering leadership
Qualified candidates will have:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- Minimum of 10 years of experience architecting and developing applications and distributed software systems
- Minimum of 10 years of object-oriented and/or functional programming experience (e.g. C#, C++, Java, Scala, etc.)
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant development experience related to process automation
- Minimum of 3 years of experience leading and managing software development teams
- Experience engaging teams with various technical expertise and ability
- Experience in customer engagement including ideation, design thinking, and seeking rapid feedback
- Experience engaging business partners to drive requirements definition
- Experience with and an understanding of the value of modern development concepts and practices including OO principles, unit testing, agile development, TDD, and/or continuous delivery (some tools we use are Git, JIRA, Jenkins, NuGet, and XUnit)
- Pride in software craftsmanship and enjoyment in diving deep into code and constantly innovating
Bonus points for:
- Experience as full-stack developer
- Experience developing on both Unix-like and Windows platforms
- Experience developing in the .NET ecosystem
- Understanding of the value and application of machine learning, neural networks, and analytics tools
- Experience developing in the AWS ecosystem and the different services offered
- Familiarity/Experience with Genetic/Molecular Breeding/Analysis technologies
Who is Monsanto?
Monsanto is an agriculture company with more than 20,000 employees focused on making a balanced meal accessible to everyone. We work to help farmers produce food in a more sustainable way. We think about how our food is grown so farmers have the tools they need to have better harvests.
We believe that bringing diverse perspectives together is the most effective way to develop creative solutions to some of the world’s biggest challenges. Career opportunities at Monsanto range from farming, plant breeding, chemistry and engineering to marketing, environmental science, IT and many other areas. We’re always looking for exceptional professionals interested in developing a strong career while collaborating to develop solutions for sustainable agriculture. Sound like a job for you?
Why work with us?
- Life at Monsanto means collaborating with dedicated professionals in a stimulating environment
- Our people demonstrate our winning culture through positive and meaningful relationships
- You will work with market leading brand products in a global organization
- We provide competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and some of the best career development opportunities in the industry
- Monsanto is named Great Place to Work in many countries around the world
Join our global team where your contribution will make a real difference!