Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 55 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
As part of continued growth, we are currently seeking to recruit a Portfolio Specialist to join the Wellington Alternative Investments (Hedge Fund Management) Group.
The Portfolio Specialist position is a generalist cross-functional role, broadly supporting the business management and client service needs of the Wellington Hedge Management sponsored hedge funds, Wellington Alternative Investments (WAI). This individual will work on a wide range of business and investment-related activities, including fund risk analytics, client service, client reporting, marketing, working with outside vendors, and inter-departmental projects. This role requires strong analytical skills, including a deep understanding of global financial markets, various security types, investment risk analysis techniques, and an ability to understand detailed hedge fund accounting principles. There will be considerable contact with our hedge fund investors and prospects, and broad Wellington Management functional disciplines; in particular, Investment Management, Global Business Development & Relationship Management, WAI Administration, Legal Services, and Tax Services.
The Portfolio Specialist’s primary responsibilities will include the following:
* Collaborate with senior members of WAI to perform analytical work supporting the management and oversight of the hedge funds (performance, risk, and portfolio analysis, etc.);
* Provide daily investment risk oversight for a set of WHM-sponsored hedge funds; prepare and review fund documents, including monthly characteristics and marketing materials to be shared externally with clients and prospects;
* Produce fund commentary (performance, positioning and outlook) on a routine basis to senior management and Investment Directors on the team;
* Contribute to the investor relations efforts of the team which is responsible for building relationships with, and responding to inquiries from, a broad range of clients and prospects in EMEA;
* Work in tandem with Investment Directors to develop and implement sales and marketing strategies with respect to our sponsored hedge funds; communicate strategies within both WAI and the broader organisation;
* Over time, participate in meetings with clients, prospects, and consultants to communicate our investment philosophy, strategy, positioning, and performance.
Examples of recent Portfolio Specialist projects include:
* Historical performance analysis of private securities held in hedge funds;
* Coordination of cross-functional effort to launch a new hedge fund, including development of marketing strategy, assessment of disclosure and reporting requirements, and management of operational complexities;
* Assessment of the impact of regulatory developments on our funds and investors;
* Maintaining data integrity of inputs for a custom risk analytics tool.
The successful candidate for this position is likely to:
* Have strong academic credentials, ideally including a post-graduate or professional qualification (e.g. CFA or equivalent);
* Have 5-10 years of relevant professional experience. An advanced understanding of financial assets and markets, and a solid knowledge of statistics is important. An existing knowledge of, and experience working with, alternative investment strategies is essential;
* Demonstrate excellent analytical and systems ability, coupled with a high level of attention to detail.
* Possess excellent relationship and communications skills, both written and oral.
Whilst Portfolio Specialists work in a team-oriented environment, many projects are self-directed, and often have intense deadline pressures. Other critical skills therefore include maturity, sound business judgment, an ability to juggle multiple priorities and to take ownership for work, and a resourcefulness to ‘find the right answer’, whether it’s immediately apparent or not. A writing sample will be required.
Please note that we are only able to respond to successful applicants.
JOB TITLEPortfolio Specialist, Alternative Investments
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management considers all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at Wellington@icareerhelp.com.