Genscape’s product offerings are focused on energy data which is captured via patented sensor technology. Beyond our revolutionary sensor IP, Genscape’s offerings are all software/data-based product. The essence of all our commercial products are the result of some of the most talented software and hardware engineers in the market. We continue to expand our software suite through organic development as integration of acquired products, technologies & data. Genscape is seeking a seasoned Agile practitioner focused on SCRUM and also savvy with other frameworks such as Kanban. Our teams embrace SCRUM across the board and across all global offices which is both exciting and challenging but we enjoy continuous improvement and honing our software delivery excellence.
This team member will work with the SCRUM teams in planning, grooming, stand-ups, retrospectives, etc… all of the usual key Agile/SCRUM meetings. This individual does not need to be senior however they must be very well seasoned at SCRUM Master methods/operations/techniques and will need to be a high energy, strong collaborator and communicator as they will work closely with the Product Developers, Product Owners and Data Owners to ensure that the team activities are in line with the larger goals of Genscape’s growth strategy. This individual will also work with the IT support team to continually improve and optimize our software development workflow and tools optimization activities to ideally suit our app-dev software team. As one would expect with any seasoned SCRUM Master, the individual is intended to ‘protect’ the interests/agreements of the development team while serving and supporting the overall project. This means sufficient seniority/maturity to push back on product owners where appropriate to protect the efficiency and delivery excellence of the overall SCRUM team for each sprint. The role must also collaborate with product owners in an effective and strategic way hence the human aspect of people management and collaboration across many geographies is essential. The role serves as the nucleus of the delivery ecosystem.
We enjoy engineers who love to innovate and are remarkably passionate about software development in all layers of the stack. This also applies to our agile delivery practitioners: We enjoy and appreciate the optimization process for expedient/accelerated delivery cycles. Do we need to become excessively short in our sprints? No. However, we wish those sprints to be the right balance of strategic and tactical to support customers in the near- and long-term. Organization is a key characteristic of a strong SCRUM Master as well as living the model of supporting the team while the team supports you as their champion for delivery operations. Product Owners are also critical to the SCRUM cycles so having a good working relationship is key there. Objectivity is key and we ensure our Product Owners are organizationally separate from our SCRUM Masters (reporting into the CTO organization). Passion for software, drive toward excellence of solution and outstanding team collaboration where ideas can be bounced around for feedback are all aspects of culture we embrace. If you see software as a direct reflection of what you love to do/build and if you say to yourself: “Imagine… I get PAID to do what I love---explore, innovate and develop excellent software with awesome technologies,” then please do come talk to us for this role and/or other roles we have at Genscape.
We look for passionate software practitioners and technologists who love data as well as enjoy working in an autonomous environment where employees are encouraged to expand their careers, explore new ideas, and make a big impact where they work. Come see what we are all about!
What you will do and learn:
This role will facilitate internal/external communication, removing impediments, and serving as the intermediary between product owners, developers, architects, user experience and QA---both local and spread across multiple geographies. Driving transformation and leading change requires analytical thinkers who bring insight, knowledge, technical acumen and passion for innovation.
- Create an environment conducive to team self-organization
- Help remove/mitigate/resolve impediments
- Capture empirical data to adjust and optimize delivery cycles and sprint planning
- Shield the feature team from external interference and distractions
- Keep Scrum artifacts visible and maintain the pace/diligence with team members to keep a pulse on the sprint progress leveraging the tools we’ve embraced to support the delivery process.
- Promote transparency across multiple feature teams, with Product Owner, and Technology Management
- Promote improved engineering practices and/or connect mentors with the team to improve value delivery
- Help the team build quality in to the software & deliveries
- Conduct research to identify solutions and evaluate processes
- Contribute to continuous improvement of the SCRUM team, e.g. by participating & leading in retrospectives and sharing observations and ideas for improvement.
- Experience working and teaching/coaching teams to follow Scrum Framework
- Relevant experience as a Scrum Master working across geographically disparate teams
- Ability to inspect and adapt the way the team works to continuously improve
- Excellent critical thinking skills, ability to find and solve root causes of problems amid "noise"
- Experience working with other Agile frameworks such as Kanban---or an interest with detailed knowledge on the operational and theoretical differences/benefits/challenges.
- 4+ years of relevant experience in technology applications—could be as a dedicated project manager/SCRUM master or a hybrid between dev and SCRUM delivery.
- Experience with business rule intensive systems and high volume manual workflows a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills when working with both internal business and technical people and with external customers, ability to solidify vague requests, explain issues, and guide to solutions.
- SCRUM Certified
Over your first few months in this position, you will know you’re successful if:
- You demonstrate a strong initiative to provide value in a highly collaborative team environment. We enjoy those who love technology and foster a culture where open discussions on latest/greatest development can be used in various innovative ways to solve real business problems.
- You demonstrate knowledge and carefulness essential to develop and manage business-critical 24-hour operational systems. We live for uptime as our clients are financial traders and expect/demand the most mission critical systems that support real-time Wall Street traders.
- Start with the basics of day-to-day operations before tackling organic development: In your first 30 Days you would know and understand the majority of the various message distribution / data movement / replication capabilities we use today and strategic analysis of future platform capabilities.
- In your first 60 Days you would know and understand the majority of the diagnostic and critical characteristics of the system and be able to complete most if not all bug fixes/enhancements.
This role might be for you if:
- You have an undergrad, Master’s or Ph.D. in computer-science and/or related field or equivalent experience. Some of our top engineers are from top 5 Comp-sci programs while others have deep experience in software dev after changing careers from various flavors of engineering, math, Physics, etc… and most of those with MSc or PhD in sciences/engineering.
- You have demonstrated deep experience and knowledge designing and developing sophisticated applications and/or leading those efforts in a very hands-on and passionate way.
- Whether a pure technologist or an operations/support function, you love data, mid-tier and cloud technologies: You may have always been focused on project delivery or a purist with technology architecture/design but at your core, you’re proud to be geek.
- You have demonstrated deep experience and knowledge in SCRUM delivery. You enjoy agility and serving to keep a handful of SCRUM teams well served to enable delivery for each of their projects. You enjoy metrics, their intrinsic meaning and you embrace continual improvement from those metrics as they give you empirical evidence that allows you to diagnose areas for improvement.
- You enjoying continual improvement and optimization of the software development factory. While the operations are smooth, you aren’t satisfied until you see additional improvements until the SCRUM teams, across all teams, are coordinated through the SCRUM-of-SCRUMS and you achieve Swiss-watch level efficiency. Your leadership supports your passion and empowers you to make such improvements while effectively building relationships with your teams.
- You are seasoned with a variety of Agile, project and software operations tooling. These tools support your drive to be the SCRUM Master that enables and supports the team to sling as much quality code as possible. The injection of tools into the day-to-day process of the software dev teams is, of course, present but as ‘stealth’ as possible to minimize the friction of their delivery cycles. Yet, sufficient data-oriented objective metrics are captured to give you (and the team) the information to diagnose and hence improve.
These soft skills are a MUST:
- An ability to succeed in a dynamic/distributed team environment and be open to overtime when necessary
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, team player with excellent interpersonal skills. We embrace SCRUM while distributing workloads across teams in a distributed development fashion. This results in a great opportunity to work with teams across the country/globe where some portion of the team is physically co-located while others attend stand-ups remotely via various collaboration technologies.
- An ability to manage multiple priorities effectively with minimal supervision – we don’t like to micromanage!
- Self-driven: As mentioned, we don’t enjoy a culture of micro-management. We do believe in SCRUM and bi-weekly sprints and that the energy to deliver comes from accountability and self-motivation. We don’t believe in punching a clock and at the same time we do believe in delivery, commitment to team, commitment to individual and a career plan that rewards excellence and high standards/work ethic. We leave it up to you and offer very attractive incentives to reward such excellence and delivery throughput.
It would be a huge bonus if you had the following experience:
As a SCRUM Master (possibly dev or ops turned SM) you would have experience with a variety of technologies, either directly or indirectly from project delivery:
- Multiple OS & scripting knowledge.
- Master Data Management / Data Lifecycle Management
- Enterprise software development experience and globally distributed team experience
- Experience with ETL, Messaging/Pub-Sub system & tools and Java/C#.
- Understanding of MPP/Big Data concepts and/or experience.
- Demonstrated interest in and enthusiasm for learning new data management technologies
- Exposure to Cloud based PaaS and IaaS services including SQL Azure, AWS RDS, or SQL Server on cloud based VMs. We dual-home our cloud solutions so enjoy both Azure and AWS as well as some niche providers.
Once you land this position, you’ll get to enjoy:
- A fun, fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment where employees are viewed as the company’s greatest asset and critical to our success.
- Technology culture fostered and evolved by technologists and for technologists: Annual Tech Summit where we assemble the entire global technology team for a week to communicate our direction for the upcoming year, identifying new technologies, prioritizing products and how we evolve our process/team tools/etc…
- Global Collaboration: Video conferencing as well as mobile camera bots where remote employees can explore/interact throughout our open work space and into (hopefully invited) team meetings and doing so across many cultures. We also support community gaming however we find that most folks enjoy coding more than they do gaming! Go figure.
- Culture of ‘Who we are as technologists’: We are not the often over-used term of “IT” but rather we are Software Engineers forming the core of all product built and sold by Genscape. We are not a ‘support function’ in a retail, consumer or other hard-products business. Rather but rather are at the center of all that is created within Genscape which is software---not as a support function but developers are the core of all that is created at Genscape. We bring to life the product concepts, vision and details of world-class Energy product managers and Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) which is the perfect combination and one reason for build of quality product.
- Being part of a team of extremely talented analysts, engineers, technologists, data scientists, user experience experts, QA practitioners and off-shore strategic development teams.
- A company that offers a strong focus on work life balance and encouragement to make a big impact where you work. As previously mentioned, many of our talent pool are both left-and-right brain balanced and are as comfortable at a keyboard cranking code as they are composing music, rock-climbing, leading a band, restoring snow cats, welding artwork or many other interesting hobbies.
- We also support working from home and flexible work hours: This goes to supporting the self-motivated team member where we want folks who enjoy going ‘above-and-beyond’ as a standard because they simply ‘are that way’. The result is high throughput, consistent delivery and a happy team!
- Excellent benefits and numerous perks including conferences, F2F training, online training and internal contests such as Technology Hackathons and Internal Innovation Competitions where we bring winning team concepts to life in product/technology.
- We offer all of the above (and more) as we know you expect the most of us as a company and managers and we expect the most of you as an exceptional contributor! Apply if you want to join as an exceptional contributor to an awesome team---if you are looking for just another ‘job in technology’ and are at all a ‘clock-puncher’ then please pass on us.