Manager, Client Engineering (Advanced Platforms)
CBS Business Unit: CBS Interactive
Job Type: Full-Time Staff
Job Location: San Francisco, CA, US
CBS Interactive is the premier online content network for information and online operations of CBS Corporation as well as some of the top native digital brands in the entertainment industry. Our brands dive deep into the things people care about across entertainment, technology, news, games, business and sports. With over 1 billion users visiting our properties every quarter, we are a global top 10 web property and one of the largest premium content networks online.
Check us out on The Muse to get an inside look into #LifeAtCBSi through employee testimonials, office photos and company updates.
Based in New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles and Louisville, Kentucky, our small, but enthusiastic, media brand teams work within the portfolio of CBS Interactive to deliver highly engaging and innovative consumer facing products across the landscape of digital platforms including Desktop, Mobile, and Connected Devices. Our diverse blend includes TVGuide, Download, Chowhound, Metacritic, TV.com, Metrolyrics and Last.fm.
As a Manager of Client Engineering, Advanced Platforms, on a growing and geographically diverse development team, you employ your deep coding and technical leadership experience to build and support Mobile, Connected (Apple TV, Fire TV, Roku), and Emerging Technology products consumed by millions of users each day! You will have strategic, architectural, planning, documentation, and software implementation responsibilities. Working in a highly collaborative environment, you will also have the freedom to provide guidance on applicable tool chains and the flexibility to use modern frameworks. This is a hands-on leadership role.
- Provide technical/software development leadership and architectural guidance.
- Be a hands-on technical leader across multiple AGILE teams.
- Work closely with Product Managers, UX Designers and Infrastructure to understand the needs of tens of millions of users.
- Work in a fast-paced AGILE environment. This should be second nature (TDD, SCRUM, Kanban, etc.) with evolutionary architecture and prototyping experience using various databases and configuration/deployment/testing solutions.
- Lead the rapid development of user-driven prototypes to identify technical options and inform architectural approaches.
- Build a continuous delivery and improvement cycle, learning from the wider web development community and sharing knowledge of tools and techniques with technical and non-technical team members across the organization.
- Perform participation in team coding, developing interfaces for web and mobile applications, services and future technology.
- Review developers' code, provide feedback, and develop team knowledge.
- Collaborate with technical and business resources, gathering and documenting requirements and formulating action plans.
- Provide direction for other technical resources, including leadership on multiple large projects.
- Present designs and plans to executive management.
- Choose the best technology for specific efforts.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What you bring to the team:
The ideal candidate possesses the highest level of experience in application development, software engineering, and application architecture. We are ideally looking for these skills and experiences:
- BS/MS in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent experience
- Deep and broad software development experience
- Wide experience in many languages and technologies
- 3-5 years of team leadership and managing engineering teams in a fast-paced, AGILE environment.
- Excellence in problem solving, strategic thinking, and working in a team-oriented environment
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to excel in a team oriented environment
- Experience mentoring developers
- Expertise in responsive web design, web design standards, usability and enterprise content management systems.
- Experience with developing, deploying and supporting native applications for iOS and Android platforms (XCode/AppCode IDE, Mobile Dependency Managers, APNS, GCM, Android SDK Lollipop & Material Design).
- Deep understanding of current web technologies and trends, including Linux, RESTful APIs, Relational & NoSQL Datastores(MySQL, MongoDB), and HTML5, among others.
- Experience developing and using web based APIs
- Experience with open source solutions, using and deploying on cloud based platforms
- Experience working with analytics tools like Omniture, Comscore, Chartbeat, etc.
You might also have:
- Good understanding of server and cloud computing technologies from providers such as AWS and Rackspace
- Experience with Git/GitHub or similar DVCS
- Experience in building very high traffic digital products
- Any experience using Objective-C, Swift, Java, GOLang, Scala, Jenkins, Selenium, Python, Chef and Puppet Technologies.
All candidates must successfully complete a background check prior to starting employment at CBS Interactive. CBS Interactive is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or status as a veteran. CBS Interactive complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
CBS Interactive is an Equal Opportunity Employer. CBS Interactive provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or status as a veteran. CBS Interactive complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.