Product Marketing Engineer
Philo is a young San Francisco-based startup building the future of television — letting you watch your favorite shows on all the devices you care about with intelligent search, insightful discovery, and effortless sharing. Philo’s leadership consists of founding team members from Facebook and Meraki, and brings deep industry experience to the team. Philo is backed by NEA and HBO, among others.
Necessity is the mother of invention
Philo was born in a Harvard dorm room, where cable TV wasn’t offered and the over-the-air broadcast couldn’t penetrate the walls of the 300-year-old brick residence halls. The founders of Philo wanted to watch TV around campus, so they wrapped their room in aluminum foil to boost the signal, and connected it to a server to stream it over the campus network.
We’ve moved from aluminum foil to silicon
Our technology may have changed, but our mission is the same. At Philo, we are building the TV experience we wanted for ourselves. Today, hundreds of thousands of students can use Philo to watch all the live and recorded television they love on all of their favorite devices, and that’s just the beginning.
Company and Culture
We’re a small team that puts our product experience first. We foster a flexible work environment that is supportive but allows for autonomy so that everyone on the team can help us build towards our vision. Philo engineers own what they build from start to finish. We ship to production multiple times per day and keep unnecessary process to a minimum so we can maintain our pace of rapid development. We value pragmatism, having pride in our work, and deep transparency at all levels.
We seek an experienced product marketing/analytics professional with performance marketing and front end engineering experience. The individual in this role will have the technical skill set of our front-end engineering team combined with the strategic marketing skills needed to tune Philo’s marketing funnel.
- Help plan and build instrumentation and analytics infrastructure for an app on multiple platforms.
- Work hands-on with engineering and product teams to design, prioritize, implement and track performance around product features
- Track and verify analytics operations and troubleshoot instrumentation
- Track and update progress for performance marketing goals (e.g. cost per acquired customer, cost per referral, LTV, etc)
- Develop data-driven user insights to inform team strategy, positioning, and provide feedback cross-functionally
- Help deliver a cohesive engagement strategy across the entire customer lifecycle with a bias toward continuous optimization around conversion and engagement
- Drive development and own performance of Philo’s referral incentive programs, working with product, marketing and analytics to continuously improve.
- Work cross-functionally with product, marketing, operations, support, etc. regularly to ensure goal and execution alignment
- 3 years experience in engineering and 2 years experience in product marketing role
- Implementation experience with front-end instrumentation and analysis using tools like Google Analytics & Tag Manager, Heap, event tracking, etc.
- Expertise with E-commerce, direct to consumer products, subscription products and/or electronic products.
- Comfortable working hands-on as a front-end web developer working with React and ES6
- Comfortable working in a codebase with multiple contributors using tools like git
- Ability to independently drive experimentation frameworks focused on engagement (i.e. A/B tests on copy and design)
- Analytical thinker and experience in data-driven marketing. Results driven with the ability to analyze complex data to inform strategic decisions
Nice to have:
- Experience with online video or television metrics and performance tracking
- Experience with new media brands a plus
Projected Start Date: ASAP
Location: San Francisco, CA
Compensation: Includes competitive salary, company stock options and health benefits.
Philo is an equal-opportunity employer.
Read Full Description