The ETL Consultant specializes in the design and development of the ETL environment, processes, programs, and scripts to acquire data from source systems and apply the data to appropriate structures within the Teradata RDBMS, Teradata Aster, Hadoop, Open Source Systems, and various other systems. Conversely, the ETL Consultant will also acquire data from Teradata sources such as the Teradata RDBMS, Teradata Aster, Hadoop, and other open source platforms, to apply to appropriate structures within any other customer system. This individual must have the skills necessary to understand the overall Unified Data Architecture – including details internal to the Teradata data warehouse architecture, Teradata Aster architecture, and Hadoop architecture. The ETL Consultant designs and builds the ETL environment with the specific toolset required by the client. These tools may include direct interfaces supplied with Teradata, Teradata Aster, Hadoop, as well as third party data integration tools. The ETL Consultant will be key to implementing Teradata projects in both the public and private cloud as well as on premises, and needs to be familiar with best practices for working within these environments and within mixed environments. The ETL Consultant may also provide input to the database designer to optimize the data loading of the physical database. The ETL Consultant may be the Project Tech Lead on a project.
Key Areas of Responsibility
· Capture ETL requirements – note this includes all data integration techniques such as ELT, etc.
· Design, develop, and test processes for extracting data from legacy systems, production databases, Teradata, Teradata Aster, Hadoop, and Open Source platforms.
· Design, develop, and test processes for validating and conditioning data prior to loading it into a Teradata Warehouse, Teradata Aster, Hadoop, or other platforms.
· Design, develop, and test processes for loading initial and cyclical data into a Teradata Warehouse, Teradata Aster, Hadoop, or other platforms.
· Design the processes to meet service level agreements for data timeliness and frequency.
· Determine which data elements are historic and the retention period for historic data.
· Determine data growth trends and peak business periods.
· All Consultants are expected to build value in themselves. Teradata’s extensive library of both instructor led and web based training provides ample opportunity for the consultant to build and maintain marketable skills. Time has been allocated specifically for this task and each consultant is expected to have a ‘Learning Plan’. Progress against the learning plan is part of the annual appraisal.
· All Consultants are expected to build value in their practice through the contribution and reuse of consulting assets. At the conclusion of each assigned project, a consultant is expected to evaluate the project deliverables and to contribute those items that may be useful to other consultants that may be assigned similar projects. When a new project is assigned, the consultant will search the asset repository for assets that may improve or accelerate the project delivery. #LI-GA1
· In depth knowledge of the Teradata Database, Teradata Aster, and / or Hadoop platform.
· In depth knowledge of ETL tools and the SQL language.
· Ability to understand and properly use data integration techniques such as ETL and ELT.
· Profiling, validating, conditioning, transforming, and cleansing of data.
· Implement projects on premises, in the cloud, and between mixed environments.
· Knowledge of Architecture Principles, Advocated Positions, Design Patterns, and Implementation Alternatives.
· Understanding of the Teradata Reference Information Architecture
· Work with the appropriate project management methodology (Agile or Waterfall) based upon customer and project requirements
Asia Pacific/Japan-Australia-Australian Capital Territory-Canberra
APAC Sales & Services