The University of Southern Mississippi invites applications for the founding Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences. Home to 13 schools and 110 academic programs, the new College of Arts & Sciences will become the largest college at The University of Southern Mississippi on July 1, when the University will implement a reorganization plan that includes the merger of the College of Arts & Letters and the College of Science & Technology. Preference will be given to candidates whose applications are complete by February 15. Applicants should visit https://www.usm.edu/provost/arts-sciences-dean-search for the complete job profile.
Reporting to the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences will plan, develop, and coordinate all administrative and academic proceedings for a wide range of programs and services that enhance the quality of faculty and student academic life in the college. The Dean will also engage in strategic planning and implementation to align the college with the Academic Master Plan and the University's Strategic Plan and ensure all initiatives are consistent with the mission and vision of the Office of the Provost and The University of Southern Mississippi. The Dean will lead more than 500 faculty and staff and oversee a $35 million operating budget.
Minimum qualifications include:
- an earned doctorate or terminal degree, a record of scholarly accomplishment, and a strong commitment to research/creative activity, teaching, and service in a field appropriate for appointment as a full professor in one of the departments or schools of the College of Arts & Sciences,
- a demonstrated track record of administrative experience and academic leadership, and a portfolio of professional successes,
- strong and proven capabilities in complex organizational management including strategic planning, financial stewardship, budget creation, resource allocation, human resource management, risk management, and related decision-making,
- the proven ability to work collaboratively with leaders across organizations,
- exemplary interpersonal and communication skills, and
- impeccable integrity, sense of professionalism, and sound judgment.
Desired qualities and capacities of the Dean include:
- a distinguished record of scholarship and academic achievement,
- a strong commitment to the arts, humanities, social and natural sciences, and engineering and the capacity for working across disciplines and professions to enhance learning throughout the University,
- an understanding of and respect for the accreditation process of diverse disciplines,
- a history of innovative and effective leadership in a consultative and collaborative academic environment,
- significant experience in recruiting, retaining, and nurturing faculty, including a well-developed ability to gauge academic quality and an appreciation for the vital importance of hiring and promotion decisions in creating and sustaining excellence in the University,
- knowledge and entrepreneurship in envisioning, managing, and facilitating access to the internal and external sources of funding necessary to build and sustain excellence in research and educational programs,
- an aptitude and enthusiasm for fundraising to support the College's mission,
- a well-developed sense of how to allocate resources to fulfill the priorities of the College's and University's strategic plans,
- a deft hand in managing procedural details and facilitating shared governance with a spirit of openness and generosity of understanding,
- a commitment to working in partnership with University leadership, including the President, the Provost, Vice Presidents, Vice and Associate Provosts, and the other academic Deans, and
- resilience, thoughtfulness in speech, responsiveness, and fair-mindedness.
Please visit jobs.usm.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=57568 to view the job posting and apply for the position.